iPhone 6 Could Be the Biggest iPhone Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if it is a bigger screen. Because clearly phones with bigger screen sizes sell, and they sell well.

BUT, I personally hope it isn't. A 4" screen is near perfect in my opinion, and anything bigger starts to get uncomfortable to carry around in my pocket. I know several people who walk around with a Note in their pocket... how they can do that and not drive themselves crazy is beyond me.

That said, if Motorola (now Google?) keeps updating the 4" DROID, I'll probably go with that. Or I might be able to handle the 4.3" Galaxy Mini. But the 5"+ phones I just can't do.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Wife's Note II is to big for my taste, my S4 is perfect. I can't see how those with anything smaller than a 5" screen can enjoy their devices. Especially iPhone users, to dang small to be practical.

Apple needs a bigger screen device if it wants to compete, hate to see what they are going to charge for it though.

O.M.G.
While it will be good to see Apple trying to keep up with the times, it will be even better to see people like otacon being silenced by their own favorite company.
Arguments like "I hope it comes with it's own backpack" and "anything larger than 4 inch is stupid" will suddenly turn into "the best device ever to reach the market" and "everyone else is copying Apple with their large screen devices". LOL

OTOH, while the hardware might become competitive again, it's the software environment and restrictions that still keep me away from Apple devices.

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

My last two phones have been the Note 3 and HTC One, both much bigger than the iPhone. However, it's the very thing that you condemn about Apple that I like. Apples software up to iOS7 has been far more functional than even my Note 3 which is full of useless gimmicky features we all turn off. Once Apple release a phone bigger than 5" I'm jumping back on the Apple bandwagon. I miss AirPlay, Music Match, and all the high quality apps. To me customising my home screen comes bottom of my list of useful features.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
4≈4,5" is good in the vertical use on the other hand 5≈6" is good in horizontal mode (two hands). Obviously solution is ultra wide screen format!

You've never used Android, have you?

It's almost impossible to get a virus. Stick to the market. If you're not utterly moronic, you won't ever get one.

Beyond that, customization and custom roms sink the iPhone in my books. I've never had issues using Android to connect to all manner of devices and yet the iPhone was a constant pain. Plus, I don't use samsung. Why pay that much? I can get something infinitely better than the iPhone for a mere $300 (Off contract! If you aren't Canadian, you wouldn't get it, but this is huge!).

Stock android and the Nexus line of phones. There's a certain magic about them. No bloat, custom roms. Root. Full customization. Open source.
Everything somebody like me cares about that the iPhone can't even come close to. Let's not forget screen size and excellent specs :D

Combine it with unlimited local calling, 6GB of data (before the throttle, anyway), no contracts or roaming fees, unlimited texting, caller ID all for $25.00/m? I'm in heaven.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hrmmm... this would certainly shut up the Apple fans who keep saying that larger screens aren't practical. I'll enjoy watching tunes change.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
"House70" it is the software part or user interface of Apple products that mostly keep iPhone users happy; not the hardware. Hardware wise, iPhone and Samsung is pretty much equal.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i don't think it would be a smart business practice for them. the iphone is an icon, whether you will like to admit it or not. maybe have a new iteration, but that's it

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

I am an Android user (Droid Bionic, Galaxy S4, Asus TF300T) and it is not nearly impossible for someone to get malware from the Play Store. I know quite a few, very tech savvy, users who are cautious about reading permissions and who have still gotten malware infested apps from the Play Store.

Google could learn something from Apple in reviewing apps BEFORE allowing them to be posted.

as nice as the samsung s4 is... im just an average size man... 5'11 165lbs and i cant use the s4 in one hand. what apple realizes is that these phones are far far more popular to kids... not to adults.. so imagine kids trying to use a 5" phone in one had... it doesn't work... let alone when they still drive and text.. they have to take their hands off the wheel just to text. fail in my book and many others.

I guess I'm just lucky, but I've done extensive sideloading and loaded from the market as well and I have not encountered anything that would seem to be malicious (insofar as I'm able to tell). You really have to dredge the depths of the market to come up with something infected in my experience.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Oh boy the iPhone 6, still just as skinny but now 7" tall! Ultra widescreen!

Regarding malware, the best malware don't reveal their bad activities. They steal your data silently, and the user is left none the wiser. In the case of Gmail, you agreed to a EULA you didn't read, so it's all legal. I'm waiting for the announcement that Google Glass will listen to everything you say and read everything you look at to better serve you advertisements, I MEAN- to better customize your user experience.

Apple almost certainly collects undesirable information as well...
As for the malware, again, as far as I can verify. I've seen no negative aspects of it thus far - no errant charges, compromised accounts, etc. I can only assume that I haven't been meaningfully compromised since that's all I do on the phone anyhow.

As for the first part:
iPhone Tall - Set yourself above the rest.

Eh? Got a surefire job in marketing, methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.