iPhone Demand Slips as Galaxy S3 Interest is "Red Hot"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]You are posting completely inaccurate, easily refuted future predictions (as wemakeourfotune pointed out), while I have presented past measurements and figures from Apple themselves which are of course infinitely more accurate than those of analysts being as Apple is beholden by the SEC to make accurate statements. Big difference.Apple themselves in SEC statements have indicated that the iPhone has sold 220 million units over the same timeframe that Samsung reported they had sold 100 million Galaxy smartphones.Of course, all we have to do is wait till next week for Apple to release their Q4 2012 figures to know exactly how successful the iPhone 5 has been. It is apparent many analysts will be eating their words (or more likely making lots of money having bought Apple shares at the dip after the current smear campaign has done its job).[/citation]

So just to clarify, you are saying that all the experts are wrong, and you are right, and that apple is going to completely blow away even the super-optimistic apple-loving analysts predictions?

I just want to clarify your position, because that's the impression that i'm getting.

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

What we are saying is that figures released by Apple or Samsung are of course more accurate (because they have to adhere to SEC regulations regarding disclosure) than predictions by analysts.

Samsung themselves have admitted they have only sold 100 million Galaxy smartphones since May 2010 while Apple has reported they have sold 220 million iPhones in that same timeframe.

Apple also reported they had sold 5 million iPhone 5's in their launch weekend and 2 million in China over that launch weekend making your iPhone 5 totals (wherever you have sourced them from) completely laughable.

What about this do you not understand?

[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]What we are saying is that figures released by Apple or Samsung are of course more accurate (because they have to adhere to SEC regulations regarding disclosure) than predictions by analysts. Samsung themselves have admitted they have only sold 100 million Galaxy smartphones since May 2010 while Apple has reported they have sold 220 million iPhones in that same timeframe.Apple also reported they had sold 5 million iPhone 5's in their launch weekend and 2 million in China over that launch weekend making your iPhone 5 totals (wherever you have sourced them from) completely laughable.What about this do you not understand?[/citation]
All of this reporting and speculating and estimating of phones being sold! Who sold what to whom? Are these companies selling phones to end-users or to carriers, to give away on contract? Does each sale represent the full purchase price, or are many of the sales subsidized? All of the iPhone 5 users I have seen are folks upgrading older iPhones. The folks I know who bought Apple phones outright, purchased older models because they were less expensive. Where in all of these magic numbers can we find data for this? I also mentioned to a friend what Apple had done in regards to the Google apps, when iOS 6 was released. He had no idea, and actually seemed a bit disillusioned by the behavior. The distortion field may not be as tough to breach as believed.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]Really? You try to debunk estimates with more estimates? Really?Awesome.Again, more estimates. The estimates I post are wrong, but the ones you cite are right. Of course, that makes sense. Even the most optimistic analysts are saying 55M TOTAL iPhone sales for Q4. Explain how the iPhone 5 could have moved even close to 50M if the entire line sold 55M....and finally, both of you need to explain one thing, if the iPhone 5 is outselling the S3 as you claim, how does the S3 currently hold the title of "best selling smartphone in the world"?[/citation]

LOL how is it the best selling phone when the iPhone 4 and 4S are twice the numbers as the S3.
Not even including iPhone 5 in the mix. LOL someone doesn't know how to read articles for what they are, just reads the headline.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]So just to clarify, you are saying that all the experts are wrong, and you are right, and that apple is going to completely blow away even the super-optimistic apple-loving analysts predictions?I just want to clarify your position, because that's the impression that i'm getting.[/citation]

LOL analysts have projected 50M iPhone 5 in the first 4 months, so not sure what you're talking about.
iPhone 5 sales have already matched S3 sales and the S3 has been out for twice as long!

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]What we are saying is that figures released by Apple or Samsung are of course more accurate (because they have to adhere to SEC regulations regarding disclosure) than predictions by analysts. Samsung themselves have admitted they have only sold 100 million Galaxy smartphones since May 2010 while Apple has reported they have sold 220 million iPhones in that same timeframe.Apple also reported they had sold 5 million iPhone 5's in their launch weekend and 2 million in China over that launch weekend making your iPhone 5 totals (wherever you have sourced them from) completely laughable.What about this do you not understand?[/citation]

What I don't understand is how figures from Q2 and Q3 "disprove" estimates from Q4. I'm not disputing anything from early last year. I'm talking about Q4. You keep reiterating the same irrelevant information about first weekends and china and how many phones have been sold since May. None of this has anything to do with what i'm talking about.

You have failed to address the figures that I am presenting...for Q4 2012 (holiday quarter), the most optimistic predictions for the ENTIRE IPHONE LINE are 55M. The accepted number for the ENTIRE GALAXY LINE is 65M. We already know (not an estimate) that the S3 sold 18.1M units in that quarter. Yes these are estimates, but at the last call, Apple actually fell SHORT of estimates, and it's believed it could happen again this time.

Remember, in the tech world, what happened in the latest quarter is what matters. What happened before that, even though it was only three months ago, is ancient history.

I hope I cleared up your confusion.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]LOL analysts have projected 50M iPhone 5 in the first 4 months, so not sure what you're talking about.iPhone 5 sales have already matched S3 sales and the S3 has been out for twice as long![/citation]

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BECAUSE YOU'RE READING COMPREHENSION SUCKS!!

The iPhone 5 HAS NOT SOLD 50M UNITS!!! THAT'S THE ENTIRE IPHONE LINE.

Holy shit...maybe you can try reading again:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/03/50m-iphone-sales-booming-ipad-mini-expected-in-apples-holiday-quarter

Notice it says 50M IPHONE's, not iPhone 5s.

Damn dude, know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
[citation][nom]bigpinkdragon286[/nom]All of this reporting and speculating and estimating of phones being sold![/citation]

No, We have presented facts - figures straight from the mouths of the manufacturers themselves - Apple and Samsung.

You on the other hand appear to be incapable of accepting facts for some reason. This is like talking to a brick wall.

[citation][nom]rocwurst[/nom]No, We have presented facts - figures straight from the mouths of the manufacturers themselves - Apple and Samsung. You on the other hand appear to be incapable of accepting facts for some reason. This is like talking to a brick wall.[/citation]
You're funny and appear to be very irritable. How would you know if talking to me is like talking to a brick wall. You talk to brick walls often? Did I actually say your SEC statements were non-factual, or did you misunderstand my post? :)

rocwurst

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom] I'm talking about Q4. You keep reiterating the same irrelevant information about first weekends and china and how many phones have been sold since May. None of this has anything to do with what i'm talking about.[/citation]
Actually, it has everything to do with it.

You state "Estimates for the iPhone 5 range from 9M to 16M units." Do you seriously believe that after selling 7 million iPhone 5's in the launch weekends of 6 countries, that Apple would only sell a total of 9-16 million iPhone 5's in the entire 3 month Christmas quarter? If you do believe that, I am gob-smacked.
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]The accepted number for the ENTIRE GALAXY LINE is 65M. We already know (not an estimate) that the S3 sold 18.1M units in that quarter.[/citation]

Actually, that 65 million guesstimate is not just for the Galaxy line, it also includes all of Samsung's featurephone replacement smartphones running their home-grown Badu OS which do not count when you are comparing OS platforms.

[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]Remember, in the tech world, what happened in the latest quarter is what matters. What happened before that, even though it was only three months ago, is ancient history.[/citation]

Actually, past history does matter when it demonstrates how wilding inaccurate analyst's guesstimates of Samsung's smartphone sales have been for those previous quarters. IDC reported Samsung sold 56 million smartphones in Q3 2012 while Samsung's own figures indicate they sold only 27 million Galaxy smartphones over that same timeframe.

It demonstrates that Analyst's predictions for the most recent quarter cannot be trusted (or it shows just how many cheap and nasty non-Android smartphones Samsung is selling, a number that is completely irrelevant to this discussion)

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BECAUSE YOU'RE READING COMPREHENSION SUCKS!!The iPhone 5 HAS NOT SOLD 50M UNITS!!! THAT'S THE ENTIRE IPHONE LINE. Holy shit...maybe you can try reading again:http://appleinsider.com/articles/1 [...] ay-quarterNotice it says 50M IPHONE's, not iPhone 5s.Damn dude, know what you are talking about before you open your mouth.[/citation]

Damn, you're either retarded or just don't understand these things.

the iPhone 5 came out in September.

You're talking about just a particular fiscal quarter.

I'm talking about mid-September to mid-January, which is 4 months, not the 3 months in the quarter you are using. If you span the release of iPhone 5 to its first 4 months is 50 Million, if you just focus on that single quarter its 35 Million.

As an investor in various tech stocks I follow their SEC filings, guidance and sales figures to project which stocks I want to buy, you simply read one article and don't understand it compared to what I am specifically mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.