tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Well, ive finally got the modem sorted out (turned out not enough power, ill get a new PSU soon, ATM im using a 150watt for mobo and a 300 watt for drives). The only problem is that I dont seem to have enough IRQs to support all of my hardware. Currently my SB16 IDE controller (aint sure what thats for) doesnt have an irq. Normlly this wouldnt matter to me but considering im selling this I dont really want someone coming back telling that it doesnt work. So, how do I get around this? My other comp has got loads more stuff installed and it hasnt yet run out of irqs. Should I make some share the same IRQ and if so how do I do this? Should I enable PnP OS? And should I manually set the slot IRQs?

This has never happened to me on any other computer.... weird.

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can disable the IDE controller on the card with a jumper. This IDE connection was originally provided for CD-ROMS back in the days when computers only had one drive channel, that channel didn't support CD-Roms, and often wasn't even IDE.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thanks a lot crash. So if I disable it by jumper, it wont appear in the device list right? good, now I can sell it with no problems.
Thanks Again

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, the jumper is normally located toward the inside near the ISA slot interface.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok, I have a lot of jumpers here so would I do any damage if i tried SWAPPING THEM AROUND AND THEN PUTTING THEM BACK IF IT DIDNT WORK?

(sorry for caps)

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok I tried that and windows kept on freezing so I couldnt be sure if it had been disabled or not. If I give you a list of the able jumpers maybe you might be able to tell me which one is right?

JP2 - I think it says DRAM_EN, although it is right next to the ram slots so it could just be that.. 3 pins
Currently pin 1&2 are connected, pin 3 is free.

JP3 - SPDIF I take it this is not a jumper but a connector

JP4 - IFSD, 2 pins, not connected
JP5 - APSD, 2 pins, not connected
JP6 - MFBEN, 2 pins, connected

I think thats it, all the others are marked J, so I suppose those are connectors.
I would be very grateful for any help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You must have an AWE32 or AWE64 card. I just dug through all my Creative cards, and none matched your discription. I have an AWE64, the only one with SPDIF out. The AWE32 has an IDE connector but I can't find the jumper to disable it. The SB16 has several outdated CD interfaces, JP1-3 to select which one, JP4 to disable. Probably IFSD stands for InterFace (?) Disable? You could try it!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok, ive tried all of the possible jumper configurations and whatever I do, windows always finds it and it still cant find an irq :(
So.. do I have any possibilities in terms of making it share an irq, or is this only an option on modern boards. It can surely support more hardware than this.
Anotherb point is that the modem ivwe installed is listed in the pci device list upon startup, but if I restart the comp (without physically switching it off) it no longer appears and is not found by windows. How could this be? everything else is re-recognised...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
grr...rip the controller chip off...
OK, there IS something you can do...reserve an IRQ for it in BIOS.

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ummmm...... How? Oh is that the bit where you select manual configuration and say what each IRQ should be assigned to? (e.g irq 3 to ISA slot etc)

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
YAY!!!!, I changed IRQ 10 to ISA legacy (IRQ 10 was what the SB IDE controller needed) and now it has that IRQ, making the proper IDE controllers share. Im not sure if this reduces performance but I dont really care cus im selling it. Thanks a lot Crash, Your the best :D