[SOLVED] is 1.385v daily use safe for ryzen 5 3600 ?

Solution
It's not safe...People will say to you that even 1.45 is safe to run but that's not true.

If you want to run an all core overclock 24/7 4.200 then you must stay below 1.35V...If possible below 1.32 during load...Try for the lowest possible.

If you decide to stay on stock settings set manual voltages because you probably already noticed that they can reach up to 1.48 when idling and 1.40+ during load.

Use Cinebench R20 for some benchmarking/stressing...Let it run for some time during tests (15+ minutes looping).
Expected score for 4.200MHz all core is around 3.700-3.750.
i just got a ryzen 5 3600 and it can only do 4.2ghz with 1.385 is it safe for daily use ?
if i leave it stock it will be at 1.375 3.9ghz full load
Best settings for performance is to leave voltage and frequency in AUTO for Ryzen. Don't look at clocks, look at benchmarks.

Also set up right, that includes update BIOS if needed, install AMD chipset driver from the AMD web site (not mobo mfr.) and enable memory XMP if you can. Don't look at clocks as they shift around too much when it boosts and idles cores to save energy, instead look at performance in benchmarks.

You'll see short voltage and temp spikes...voltage to as high as 1.5V. That's normal in light bursty loads as it boosts as it's designed to do.

1.38v is safe, max I would go on Ryzen is 1.45v if you keep temps in check, I wouldn't higher.

And im not sure what Drea is talking about, 4.2ghz on all core is definitely going to be better than only a couple of cores at 4.2ghz, and benchmarks will prove that. Just make sure voltage doesn't go above 1.45v with LLC enabled and you should be fine.

Apr 7, 2020
1.38v is safe, max I would go on Ryzen is 1.45v if you keep temps in check, I wouldn't higher.

And im not sure what Drea is talking about, 4.2ghz on all core is definitely going to be better than only a couple of cores at 4.2ghz, and benchmarks will prove that. Just make sure voltage doesn't go above 1.45v with LLC enabled and you should be fine.
the problem that on auto neither of cores is getting to 4.2 i just only saw 4.175ghz and thats it at 3.8v auto

Apr 7, 2020
Best settings for performance is to leave voltage and frequency in AUTO for Ryzen. Don't look at clocks, look at benchmarks.

Also set up right, that includes update BIOS if needed, install AMD chipset driver from the AMD web site (not mobo mfr.) and enable memory XMP if you can. Don't look at clocks as they shift around too much when it boosts and idles cores to save energy, instead look at performance in benchmarks.

You'll see short voltage and temp spikes...voltage to as high as 1.5V. That's normal in light bursty loads as it boosts as it's designed to do.
i did all the things you said, but if the cpu its using 1.385v on stock 3.950mhz all core, i will set it to 4.2ghz oc with 1.385v if its safe for daily use because i get like 200mhz of performance wich i can see in cinebench r15

i did all the things you said, but if the cpu its using 1.385v on stock 3.950mhz all core, i will set it to 4.2ghz oc with 1.385v if its safe for daily use because i get like 200mhz of performance wich i can see in cinebench r15
You might can see it in CB multi-thread but not likely in single thread scores which is how games use the processor. It's still not a good idea and definitely not recommended but then I'm also aware that overclocking is for those who consider their CPU a 'throw-away' and don't mind the risk.

Hopefully your CPU will last you a while. Pretty soon 5600's will be readily available anyway, so you might never have to see the day when it starts randomly crashing in mid-game.

Last edited:

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
It's not safe...People will say to you that even 1.45 is safe to run but that's not true.

If you want to run an all core overclock 24/7 4.200 then you must stay below 1.35V...If possible below 1.32 during load...Try for the lowest possible.

If you decide to stay on stock settings set manual voltages because you probably already noticed that they can reach up to 1.48 when idling and 1.40+ during load.

Use Cinebench R20 for some benchmarking/stressing...Let it run for some time during tests (15+ minutes looping).
Expected score for 4.200MHz all core is around 3.700-3.750.

Reactions: Costan Nicu
Solution
...If possible below 1.32 during load...Try for the lowest possible.
Actually, even 1.325 is potentially harmful for some CPU's...

faq - overclocking (reddit.com)

What you have to do is determine what's called the 'FIT voltage' for your processor and stay no higher than that for a truly 'safe' overclock.

But most of us don't really work our CPU's hard by making them run truly hot on all core work loads. So people assume it's 'safe' even when pumping 1.38V at it all day long playing games. It's still degrading of course, it just takes more time. How long is anyone's guess.

Last edited: