[SOLVED] Is 2.2 GHz enough?

Aug 7, 2019
I am buying myself a gaming laptop and it has the Intel Core i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHz is that a good enough one for gaming? Also this is the description ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GE-IS74 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer Refurbished - BlackIntel Core i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB; 16GB DDR4 RAM; 256GB SSD+1TB HDD.
Is that a good deal for $879?

Thanks

Solution
2.2ghz is the base clock. When gaming you'll get much high average clocks over 3ghz as long as you're plugged into a power outlet. Don't expect to game when using battery power, just plan on web browsing and school work.

The 1050ti will be your bottleneck. I'd try to opt for a geforce 1060 or 1660ti which you can buy for just a hair more money. https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100167732 601329747 600553910 601205664 601206490 601206491

The other problem is all these lower priced 17.3" laptops have 60hz screens. You'll notice screen tearing or input lag depending on your settings. However, if you use an external 144hz monitor at your desk, you'll be fine and can ignore my point. However, if you're using an external monitor...
a laptop is NEVER an ideal choice for gaming
(cpu and gpu inside a laptop is a severly castrated version of desktop parts - for heat and power reduction)

That being said, you can opt for a laptop if it suits your needs
The pricing is reasonable, but not wowing - up to you

That "2.2GHz" is just the base clock. Unless the system is overheating, it should be able to automatically ramp up to higher boost clocks when under load. That processor's maximum turbo frequency is 4.1GHz for lightly threaded workloads, though the actual turbo frequency may not be quite that high due to heat constraints in a laptop, which can vary from one model to the next, and depending on the workload.

As for whether that particular system is a "good deal" for $879 refurbished, it's probably a decent-enough option, but it's worth noting that there are other new laptops around that price range offering similar hardware as far as the major components are concerned, and it might not cost much more to move up to something with a faster graphics card, which can make a big difference to gaming performance. As far as gaming systems are concerned, a 1050 Ti is kind of toward the lower end, at least for running the more demanding games at good settings.

A gaming laptop could be fine if you need to move it around regularly, but be aware that a gaming laptop with a 17.3" screen might not be the best option for mobility if you need to carry the system with you on a daily basis, due to its size and weight. I believe that model is close to 7 lb (3 kg). And if, on the other hand, you plan on leaving the system on your desk all the time, you would likely be better off putting together a desktop system instead, where you could get more performance for your money.

Aug 7, 2019
That "2.2GHz" is just the base clock. Unless the system is overheating, it should be able to automatically ramp up to higher boost clocks when under load. That processor's maximum turbo frequency is 4.1GHz for lightly threaded workloads, though the actual turbo frequency may not be quite that high due to heat constraints in a laptop, which can vary from one model to the next, and depending on the workload.

As for whether that particular system is a "good deal" for $879 refurbished, it's probably a decent-enough option, but it's worth noting that there are other new laptops around that price range offering similar hardware as far as the major components are concerned, and it might not cost much more to move up to something with a faster graphics card, which can make a big difference to gaming performance. As far as gaming systems are concerned, a 1050 Ti is kind of toward the lower end, at least for running the more demanding games at good settings.

A gaming laptop could be fine if you need to move it around regularly, but be aware that a gaming laptop with a 17.3" screen might not be the best option for mobility if you need to carry the system with you on a daily basis, due to its size and weight. I believe that model is close to 7 lb (3 kg). And if, on the other hand, you plan on leaving the system on your desk all the time, you would likely be better off putting together a desktop system instead, where you could get more performance for your money.
Do you mind giving me a link to the laptops you are describing?

2.2ghz is the base clock. When gaming you'll get much high average clocks over 3ghz as long as you're plugged into a power outlet. Don't expect to game when using battery power, just plan on web browsing and school work.

The 1050ti will be your bottleneck. I'd try to opt for a geforce 1060 or 1660ti which you can buy for just a hair more money. https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100167732 601329747 600553910 601205664 601206490 601206491

The other problem is all these lower priced 17.3" laptops have 60hz screens. You'll notice screen tearing or input lag depending on your settings. However, if you use an external 144hz monitor at your desk, you'll be fine and can ignore my point. However, if you're using an external monitor anyways, then get a 15.6" screen and you have a larger selection of cheaper laptops in that price range.

Solution