[SOLVED] Is a 3080 worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2020
I have a 2060 in my system and am wondering if it is worth upgrading. I am worried that the numbers look so much bigger but I won't notice anything. here is my system:
The parts are: Power- PowerSpec 750 watt - MSI x570- A pro Cpu- AMD Ryzen 3600x Gpu- MSI Ventus XS 2060 OC edition Ram- Corsair vengeance 8 gb x2 SSD- Samsung 1 TB

Solution
Is the difference worth 700-800$ though? I am not trying to argue i just have nothing to go off of.
I play 4k and 1080p often and I go back and forth a lot. I think I have a pretty good feeling for the difference.
My opinion is...first of all....I don't find 1080p all that bad.
but 4K is quite a bit crisper.
Do I think 4K gives me a better experience playing games? Yes.
Do I think I get twice the enjoyment at 4K. No.
It's tough to quantify....but I'd say I like 4K 25% more than 1080p from an enjoyment standpoint.
Is it worth $800?
That depends on how bad you need the $800.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In comparison to the 20xx release it's practically a bargain for the jump in performance to cost.

As to my opinion on "worth it", there are many facets to an answer on that one.
Do you already have the monitor and power supply to support it? Is your case large enough for it? How much is it going to impact the heat inside your case and room? Is your current cooling solution for both up to the task?

I totally WANT one, but when I consider the above questions I realize that it's lower on the "need" list.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It depends a lot on what you're playing. It also depends on the resolution as already mentioned.
However the RTX 2060 will not run most games coming out currently at 1080p at their max settings at an FPS I'd enjoy playing at.

Oct 7, 2020
In comparison to the 20xx release it's practically a bargain for the jump in performance to cost.

As to my opinion on "worth it", there are many facets to an answer on that one.
Do you already have the monitor and power supply to support it? Is your case large enough for it? How much is it going to impact the heat inside your case and room? Is your current cooling solution for both up to the task?

I totally WANT one, but when I consider the above questions I realize that it's lower on the "need" list.
I have the proper case and power supply and was going to upgrade my monitor anyway. I don't know about the cooling but i should be fine.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The difference is night and day. Everything is more clear and vibrant. When you buy a new monitor you should ask here though. Tell people what kinda games you're playing and which kinda hardware you're going to have in your computer. 60 to 144 hz is noticeable. As is 1080p to 4k.

Oct 7, 2020
The difference is night and day. Everything is more clear and vibrant. When you buy a new monitor you should ask here though. Tell people what kinda games you're playing and which kinda hardware you're going to have in your computer. 60 to 144 hz is noticeable. As is 1080p to 4k.
Is the difference worth 700-800$ though? I am not trying to argue i just have nothing to go off of.

I play 4k and 1080p often and I go back and forth a lot. I think I have a pretty good feeling for the difference.
My opinion is...first of all....I don't find 1080p all that bad.
but 4K is quite a bit crisper.
Do I think 4K gives me a better experience playing games? Yes.
Do I think I get twice the enjoyment at 4K. No.
It's tough to quantify....but I'd say I like 4K 25% more than 1080p from an enjoyment standpoint.
Is it worth $800?
That depends on how bad you need the $800.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.