is activation a lie?

my retail copy of winxp pro activated on my desktop and laptop and how did
this happen without 1 more license?

Mary

You get approx 30 days or 50 starts to activate with MS. If you don't
activate, it will cease to run. Go to Help in Windows Explorer, choose
activate to review your status.

"youllneverguess" wrote:

> my retail copy of winxp pro activated on my desktop and laptop and how did
> this happen without 1 more license?

In news:eYkZLMMgFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
youllneverguess <dontemailme> typed:

> my retail copy of winxp pro activated on my desktop and laptop
> and
> how did this happen without 1 more license?

Was there over 120 days between the two activations?

Please reply to the newsgroup

it did activate and it said you have successfully done this on both
computers and when i launch activation, it said it was successful on both
computers.

"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You get approx 30 days or 50 starts to activate with MS. If you don't
> activate, it will cease to run. Go to Help in Windows Explorer, choose
> activate to review your status.
>
> "youllneverguess" wrote:
>
>> my retail copy of winxp pro activated on my desktop and laptop and how
>> did
>> this happen without 1 more license?

it has not been 120 days since. I had to recently reinstall both computers
and it worked perfectly.

youllneverguess wrote:
> it has not been 120 days since. I had to recently reinstall both
> computers and it worked perfectly.

Was it 120 days since the first activation? (Not this round - but prior to
your recent reinstall.)

If it was - then you should have been able to activate many systems with the
same CD Key within hours of each other without problem. Activation is not
foolproof - the work-arounds are quite heavily "out there' and "obvious".
Activate several at the same time/within hours of one another.. Activate
one, wait 120 days, activate same install on a different PC.. Call and lie..

No one said there wasn't ways around activation, it is just that normal
consumers will never question it because they have no interest in the
computer beyond getting their email and surfing the internet. Does it make
it right to do so?! *shrug* That is a concern for the individuals in
question...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

youllneverguess wrote:
> it has not been 120 days since. I had to recently reinstall both
> computers and it worked perfectly.

PA doesn't always work the way it is supposed to.

Usually it f*$ks up where it screws people out of the software that was
sold to them.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Here's the deal. I bought windows xp pro and activated it in 2003. In 2004,
I got a new laptop with Xp Home OEM and then I installed xp pro without
erasing the old on the same partition.

youllneverguess wrote:
> Here's the deal. I bought windows xp pro and activated it in 2003. In
> 2004, I got a new laptop with Xp Home OEM and then I installed xp pro
> without erasing the old on the same partition.

"they were installed one after another."

Would you like to give us another story?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Gordon

"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You get approx 30 days or 50 starts to activate with MS. If you don't
> activate, it will cease to run. Go to Help in Windows Explorer, choose
> activate to review your status.

READ the OP's post - he said that he's ALREADY activated the same copy of
XP twice, once on a desktop and once on a laptop.

Alias

Congratulations. Did you wait 120 days between installing it on one before
installing it on the other or did you do it one right after another?

Alias

"youllneverguess" <dontemailme> wrote

> it did activate and it said you have successfully done this on both
> computers and when i launch activation, it said it was successful on both
> computers.
>
> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You get approx 30 days or 50 starts to activate with MS. If you don't
>> activate, it will cease to run. Go to Help in Windows Explorer, choose
>> activate to review your status.
>>
>> "youllneverguess" wrote:
>>
>>> my retail copy of winxp pro activated on my desktop and laptop and how
>>> did
>>> this happen without 1 more license?

No, I didn't. they were installed one after another.
"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> Congratulations. Did you wait 120 days between installing it on one before
> installing it on the other or did you do it one right after another?
>
> Alias
>
> "youllneverguess" <dontemailme> wrote
>
>> it did activate and it said you have successfully done this on both
>> computers and when i launch activation, it said it was successful on both
>> computers.
>>
>> "Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> You get approx 30 days or 50 starts to activate with MS. If you don't
>>> activate, it will cease to run. Go to Help in Windows Explorer, choose
>>> activate to review your status.

minor loophole,
now that you've told the world
Microsoft will close it

bumtracks wrote:
> minor loophole,
> now that you've told the world
> Microsoft will close it

Idiot.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

"youllneverguess" <dontemailme> wrote:

>Here's the deal. I bought windows xp pro and activated it in 2003. In 2004,
>I got a new laptop with Xp Home OEM and then I installed xp pro without
>erasing the old on the same partition.

If there were more than 120 days between the two installs that would
work, as others have mentioned.

However if you ever have to reactivate *both* computers within a 120
day period then you will likely encounter a problem.

A reactivation will normally be required under one of the following
circumstances:
1. When the hard drive has been reformatted and Windows reinstalled
"clean".
2. When the activation control files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak have been
deleted from the hard drive.
3. When the cumulative total of hardware changes since the last
activation exceeds the allowable tolerance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP