[SOLVED] Is an electric air blower safe to use?

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Is something like this safe to use to clean your computer?

I know vacuum cleaners and blowers are bad because of static but I had seen PC Gamer recommend a battery operated air blower and this was the closest thing I could find to it in my country.

So, since a magazine for PC gaming was recommending their readers to use such a device to keep their PC clean as an alternative to traditional compressed air cans, I wanted to know if it would be safe to use. Especially since air cans are hard to come by here.

Solution
Yes it's ok. I have been using my electric blower in several PCs for 3+years now. Block the fans from moving and you are good to go.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Just be careful to not blow your fan faster than it can run or in the wrong direction.
Since the blower is advertising 33,000 RPM blowing speed and my fans are about 2,000 RPM they'd spin faster than they're supposed to whether I like it or not. I'm thinking of holding down the fans while cleaning them so they don't spin at all.

Why not this for about same price? To answer your question - as long as the air is not heated, should be ok..
That does look like a good choice. I like the option of multiple attachments. And being corded I don't have to worry about charging it. But it's expensive and not being available in my country the import cost makes it costlier. The one I found is over my budget as it is.

DSzymborski

Titan
Just taping it or putting a pen or something in the fan to stop it from moving is adequate. It's not necessarily a perfect transfer of RPMs from one fan to another like that, but if you blow them faster than they're designed to go, there's a very good chance you'll need to buy new fans after destroying the bearings.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Just taping it or putting a pen or something in the fan to stop it from moving is adequate. It's not necessarily a perfect transfer of RPMs from one fan to another like that, but if you blow them faster than they're designed to go, there's a very good chance you'll need to buy new fans after destroying the bearings.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking of doing.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Is something like this safe to use to clean your computer?

I know vacuum cleaners and blowers are bad because of static but I had seen PC Gamer recommend a battery operated air blower and this was the closest thing I could find to it in my country.

So, since a magazine for PC gaming was recommending their readers to use such a device to keep their PC clean as an alternative to traditional compressed air cans, I wanted to know if it would be safe to use. Especially since air cans are hard to come by here.
The exhaust of the little battery powered blower/vaccunn cleaners are great at moving dust around but do not clean very well. I have been using the exhaust side of a shopVac with great success for many years.

Avik Basu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Alright, so I used the blower to clean my PC and it worked really well. My main concern was the radiator of my AIO. Using the blower on it got rid of a lot of dust. My CPU temperature dropped about 10-15 degrees.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.