[SOLVED] Is Core i7-8565U capable of decent gaming?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Next year, I am going to buy a gaming laptop that is rare, and is only sold in South Korea (I'm a foreign exchange student in Korea). My professor demands me to buy a gaming laptop for game design (I major in Computer Science). The system requirements are simple. The laptop needs a graphics card, 8GB of RAM, and a i7 CPU. No specific requirements. But I need to chill out and play some computer games, such as PUBG and Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown. Their requirements don't demand much from CPUs. Heck, you only need Core i5 (According to Gamedebate)! But I am worried about performance lag. You see, the laptop that I'm going to buy only has i7 8565U (1.80GHz- can be automatically overclocked to 4.60GHz by Intel TurboBoost), GTX 1650 with 4GB of VRAM, and 8-16GB of RAM(Name: LG UltraGear 17UD790- PX76K). The U series is designed for mobility and saving energy consumption in mind. It's not for performance. If I want performance, I need the H series, like Core i7 8565H. That is designed for hardcore performance. Some people say that is only good for graphic design. I did tell this to a professor and she said that spec is enough, but like I said, I need to play games to chill out. GameDebate is not specific towards which series of i7 CPUs are applicable, but I don't know what to do. Surely, I can look elsewhere if I want to, but strangely, my family don't want me to buy a laptop that is too outlandish- might cause eye glare.

Solution
I believe that the limiting factor in your case will be the laptop GPU. The GTX 1650 is a nice card to have in a laptop, but is kinda in the bottom of the GPU performance stack.

What I try to say with this is that for me, the Core i7 8565U seems to be good enough to drive the GTX 1650.

I think its most important to make sure the laptop comes with dual channel memory. That will in fact have more effect in your gaming than the CPU (atleast in this particular mix of components). In short 2x4GB RAM kit (8GB in total) or 2x8GB RAM kit (16GB in total).

Ralston18

Titan
Most games and high-end apps come with a listing of system hardware requirements.

Generally the requirements are established as minimum, recommended, and best.

You do not want minimum and you do want as much best as you can afford.

The system/laptop will only perform at the lowest performing component. I.e., a "bottleneck" relative to the applications(s) being run and the applications' specific hardware requirements.

CPU, GPU, memory, disks, PSU....

As for "outlandish" - focus on a functional laptop and forget/forgo "eye candy".

I believe that the limiting factor in your case will be the laptop GPU. The GTX 1650 is a nice card to have in a laptop, but is kinda in the bottom of the GPU performance stack.

What I try to say with this is that for me, the Core i7 8565U seems to be good enough to drive the GTX 1650.

I think its most important to make sure the laptop comes with dual channel memory. That will in fact have more effect in your gaming than the CPU (atleast in this particular mix of components). In short 2x4GB RAM kit (8GB in total) or 2x8GB RAM kit (16GB in total).

Solution

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018

The computer that I'm gonna buy has a dual channel. Thanks!

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Most games and high-end apps come with a listing of system hardware requirements.

Generally the requirements are established as minimum, recommended, and best.

You do not want minimum and you do want as much best as you can afford.

The system/laptop will only perform at the lowest performing component. I.e., a "bottleneck" relative to the applications(s) being run and the applications' specific hardware requirements.

CPU, GPU, memory, disks, PSU....

As for "outlandish" - focus on a functional laptop and forget/forgo "eye candy".
Looks I have to look elsewhere. Thanks!