Question Is DELL D635EF-00 usable when upgrading PC?

Aug 31, 2019
I'm going to build a new gaming-rig, and I got an old PC that was a CAD-workstation before. Now I'm wondering what parts I can reuse, and it has a 635W PSU (DELL D635EF-00, 80+ GOLD). Do I need to buy a new PSU or can I use this one? I'm going to replace the motherboard completely. If I must buy a new PSU I need to buy a new case because there isn't any of these PSU-sizes availble where I'm from.

EDIT: The PSU is made by DELTA ELECTRONICS INC.

Other parts that I'm going to reuse:
  • RAM (16GB)
  • CD/DVD reader
  • Fans 3st @ 80mm
  • HDD
  • GPU (NVIDIA QUADRO 2000, 1GB)
  • CPU (Intel Xeon 3,6 GHz)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

That is a server PSU. It uses a card edge connector. So you would have to use the original Dell case because all of the power connectors are on the interface that card edge connects into.

Good news is the Quadro 2000 is a pretty old/cheap graphics card. It doesn't even need PCIe power connectors.
Replacing the motherboard is going to be the tricky part. What connectors are coming out of the PSU bay's PCB? Does it use the standard 24-pin, 8-pin, etc. or is it using some funky proprietary Dell pinout?

Aug 31, 2019
The cables that comes from the PSU are; CPU Power, 2 st PCI-E (6pin) and a bunch of SATA power cables. The motherboard uses standard 24-pin, no "funky DELL" cables. Everything is pretty much standard.

Is the PSU safe and is it worth it to not buy a new (so it can't cause any serious damage)? Or do I have to replace everything? I've heard that PSU and MB are in need of replacement before upgrading because those can cause damage to whole system. It is rated with 80+ Gold and is 635W, but it has been used as a workstation for CAD-related stuff before so it may have undergone some serious pressure. I think it is from 2011 or 2013 or something...

The cables that comes from the PSU are; CPU Power, 2 st PCI-E (6pin) and a bunch of SATA power cables. The motherboard uses standard 24-pin, no "funky DELL" cables. Everything is pretty much standard.

Is the PSU safe and is it worth it to not buy a new (so it can't cause any serious damage)? Or do I have to replace everything? I've heard that PSU and MB are in need of replacement before upgrading because those can cause damage to whole system. It is rated with 80+ Gold and is 635W, but it has been used as a workstation for CAD-related stuff before so it may have undergone some serious pressure. I think it is from 2011 or 2013 or something...

It's a good quality PSU (Delta) with enough power, all the correct cables, and it's not that old.

Of course it's safe to use.