is fx8350 still good in 2017 ?

drmoar1376

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
I own fx 8350 for 4 years now , I have updated the gpu from r9 270x t0 gtx 1060 6gb , I have 8 gb ram ? still feels no difference at all in performance in gaming or at least a minor one
is fx 8350 obsolete now ?

Solution
The 8350 wasn't exactly a groundbreaking performer to begin with - but it all depends what you play.

A 270X to 1060 upgrade, similarly, isn't a monumental leap forward - it's an upgrade, but it's not night & day. Generally that's Medium @40-50ish FPS, 1080p to High @ 60FPS+ 1080p. Not likely to be the difference between playable & not-playable.

Is the 8350 obsolete? No. BUT, I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody buy one in late 2017 - for the money, there's just better performers out there.

It's solid enough to still provide a good 1080p gaming experience - but I wouldn't be looking to pair it with a 1080/1080TI.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 8350 wasn't exactly a groundbreaking performer to begin with - but it all depends what you play.

A 270X to 1060 upgrade, similarly, isn't a monumental leap forward - it's an upgrade, but it's not night & day. Generally that's Medium @40-50ish FPS, 1080p to High @ 60FPS+ 1080p. Not likely to be the difference between playable & not-playable.

Is the 8350 obsolete? No. BUT, I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody buy one in late 2017 - for the money, there's just better performers out there.

It's solid enough to still provide a good 1080p gaming experience - but I wouldn't be looking to pair it with a 1080/1080TI.

Solution
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/26.html

A GTX1060 is about 2x as good, however that assumes a high-end CPU.

The FX-8350 would bottleneck most games, though the amount varies a LOT. Some games might get 60% of the performance that a top-end CPU + GTX1060 would get compared to the FX-8350 + GTX1060.

*Fallout 4 is very demanding on the CPU (mostly because game engine core is OLD, but it's still a popular game so I'll mention it):
https://www.techspot.com/review/1089-fallout-4-benchmarks/page5.html

The performance is about 60% (with the same GPU, settings etc) compared to a good i7 CPU.

WORSE perhaps is that the FX-8350 can't maintain 60FPS in Fallout 4 which (on my PC at least) does not handle drops below 60FPS (60Hz monitor) very well. Some games with VSYNC ON handle drops okay, but for this and a few other games it is jarring.

DOOM would run very well though as the Vulkan API it uses allow the game to be well threaded so the CPU bottlenecking is reduced quite a bit.
https://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page5.html

It's not there, so I'll just say about 115FPS for the situation described which is not only about 80% of what the best CPU can do, but more importantly is well above 60FPS so with the right settings you can for example, run a solid 60FPS VSYNC ON (60Hz monitor) if that's your goal.

Tomb Raider:
In the 2nd last TR game the FX-8350 does close to 100%:
https://www.techspot.com/review/645-tomb-raider-performance/page5.html

SUMMARY:
so how much bottleneck you have will vary, but again it should get between 60% and 100% of what the best CPU can do in terms of FPS average, with perhaps 25% or so being the average LOSS but that depends a lot on the types of games you play

There's no such thing as obsolecence, seeing as you feel teh need to ask ;)
Your question is purely subjective. If you're getting a satisfying gaming performance, it's good. If not, no.
That being said, Is it holding back the 1060? Yes.

*You can easily ESTIMATE the amount of bottlenecking using an appropriate OSD for your graphics card (MSI Afterburner, or EVGA Precision.. )

It may be confusing at first, but figure out how to have the OSD show both:

a) GPU usage, and
b) GPU frequency

Start with Unigine HEAVEN. You should see something like 95% usage, at 1800MHz+ frequency (whatever the higher frequency is supposed to be). Ignore transitions between scenes.

GPU usage and frequency are both high because the CPU is rarely a bottleneck for simple GPU-focused benchmarks.

Now do the same thing for other games. For example, if you see 80% usage at 2/3rds max frequency then you are only using just over 50% of the graphics cards processing power due to CPU bottleneck (or FPS cap such as VSYNC).

The amount of GPU usage (due to CPU bottleneck) will vary from game to game, and in the SAME game.

This also will tell you what IMPROVEMENT you might expect from a newer CPU (higher FPS, or higher settings at the same FPS).

RakiaTime

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
I got a 8320 in april and for what i do I'm happy with it and its far from obsolete. That said it depends entirely on what you're playing, for MMOs the 8350 can slightly underperform depending on your in game settings but for SP games (recent Frostbite games are what im going by) the 8350 should have no issues in the near future.

That said, you should prepare for a upgrade in the next 12-18 months, it's just not something that will give you a performance boost worth the money in current games.

ozgunguner_99

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

Actually it depends on game you are playing, if u have 2 Gb 270x, going 6 gb ram is an good upgrade on the new vram hungry games. If you have 4 Gb then maybe should wait for a year or so for decreasing prices. I've upgraded from 270x 2gb to Rx 580 8Gb and there is no stutter at all.

Mar 19, 2018
So the fx 8350 is an exelent chip, my main pc has it and i paird it with a gtx 970....i will upgrade in the future to a gtx 1070ti and oc my cpu to 4.8 ghz, it is stable, i tried it. And yes it can play any game at 60 fps, i play fallout 4 at 70fps on ultra setting and games like far cry 5, it crushes it on ultra (60fps). And for that money....you can find them as low as 80$ not that hard and in cinabench on the multycore test it destroyes a ryzen5 1400, especialy concidering that newer api's benefit from more cores it is a good idea to buy one of them for a budget build even in 2018

Way to dig up an old thread. While the FX8350 can still give an enjoyable experience it’s fairly low end by modern standards. Here in BF1 the FX8370 is outperformed by a dual core i3 6300. There are lots of other examples of this. Ok if you overclock it then it probably keeps up with that 6300 but you need a high end motherboard and cooler. Unless you already have the motherboard and RAM an 8th gen i3 is far superior and probably similar cost.

bf1-cpu-benchmark-dx11.png