Is Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Safe to Allow I..

Jim

Periodically my Zone Alarm Firewall has recently started asking if I
should allow the subject program to act as a server to the internet.
I don't know what this program does. The URL's that pop up are
different with each request (even the front end of the URL). When I
first booted up today, the URL that came up ended with :DNS, so I
suppose it could be valid, but when I told it no yesterday I had no
problems. Any idea what this might be and if it's definitely safe or
unsafe to say "yes".

Jim

Description of Svchost.exe: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q250/3/20.ASP Default Processes in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q263/2/01.ASP
For a list of running tasks, open a command prompt, and type: netstat -ano then: tasklist /svc (Pro edition only)

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Jim" <kaplanjim@attbi.com> wrote in message news:i56c91dro3mrokk7b42mekopgboj2v92pj@4ax.com...
> Periodically my Zone Alarm Firewall has recently started asking if I
> should allow the subject program to act as a server to the internet.
> I don't know what this program does. The URL's that pop up are
> different with each request (even the front end of the URL). When I
> first booted up today, the URL that came up ended with :DNS, so I
> suppose it could be valid, but when I told it no yesterday I had no
> problems. Any idea what this might be and if it's definitely safe or
> unsafe to say "yes".
>
> Jim

Jim

Thanks. Didn't know that the subject referred to the svchost.exe
task.

I have 6 instances of svchost running, same as it ever was.

On Fri, 27 May 2005 08:09:20 -0500, "Mark L. Ferguson"
<marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Description of Svchost.exe: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q250/3/20.ASP Default Processes in Windows 2000:
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q263/2/01.ASP
>For a list of running tasks, open a command prompt, and type: netstat -ano then: tasklist /svc (Pro edition only)

TRENDING THREADS