[SOLVED] is gtx 1050 2 gb (mobile) worth it?

daniyalkh14

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
Hello guys,i'm interested in buying gaming laptop , choices are limited in my country i was interested in buying laptop equiped with gtx 1050 4 gb, but i cant find any, however there are some with gtx 1050 2 gb, im worried that only 2 gb may not cut it , i ill be playing games like far cry 5 and shadow of the tomb radier on medium 1080p (or 900p),is 2 gb enough or not?

Solution
how much performance reduction do you think i will get? if i run fc5 and sotr on 900p medium on 1050 2 gb , just wanna know ..........if performance hit is not too much like more than 20% then i can probably consider this card

That's a bit tricky question to answer. It will actually depend on the game's Graphics settings. You need to figure out which Graphics/Video setting is the most Taxing on the GPU, so that you can turn it off, or reduce the quality (e.g. Ambient Occlusion, TXAA, tessellation etc.). It will depend on PC game being played.

But I think on 900p, you should be fine. Your CPU is going to work harder on this screen res, instead of the Video card. If you can reduce the most graphic demanding Video setting...
It really depends on the TYPE of game you are actually playing, but those 2 PC games are demanding, and they might require more VRAM. Though, on 900p, you shouldn't run out of video memory, but I would say 2GB is little less as per today's standard of AAA titles.

But, it will really depend on the game being played. Some games don't require more than 2GB of VRAM. The latest AAA games like Far Cry 5, SOTR, Metro EXODUS. do require some graphics horsepower, IMO.

Last edited:

daniyalkh14

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
It really depends on the TYPE of game you are actually playing, but those 2 PC games are demanding, and they might require more VRAM. Though, on 900p, you shouldn't run out of video memory, but I would say 2GB is little less as per today's standard of AAA titles.

But, it will really depend on the game being played. Some games don't require more than 2GB of VRAM. The latest AAA games like Far Cry 5, SOTR, Metro EXODUS. do require some graphics horsepower, IMO.

how much performance reduction do you think i will get? if i run fc5 and sotr on 900p medium on 1050 2 gb , just wanna know ..........if performance hit is not too much like more than 20% then i can probably consider this card

That's a bit tricky question to answer. It will actually depend on the game's Graphics settings. You need to figure out which Graphics/Video setting is the most Taxing on the GPU, so that you can turn it off, or reduce the quality (e.g. Ambient Occlusion, TXAA, tessellation etc.). It will depend on PC game being played.

But I think on 900p, you should be fine. Your CPU is going to work harder on this screen res, instead of the Video card. If you can reduce the most graphic demanding Video setting, then you shouldn't run into any serious FPS drops.

Solution

daniyalkh14

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017

But I think on 900p, you should be fine. Your CPU is going to work harder on this screen res, instead of the Video card. If you can reduce the most graphic demanding Video setting, then you shouldn't run into any serious FPS drops.

I'll consider buying that laptop.....thanks a lot mate,your answers really cleared my confusions