[SOLVED] Is GTX 1650 good? Or is there better for price?

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Hello,

I'm building a new system with the Ryzen 5 3600, and the aim of the system will be productivity/work/school.

I would likely be satisfied if the 3600 had onboard graphics. But it doesn't. So instead of buying the absolute cheapest GPU, I was thinking of just grabbing a cheapsish yet reasonable GPU.
Who knows, I might still game a little. Or I might tinker with CUDA (or AMD's equivalent depending on recommendation).

So, I can grab the 1650 (MSI Ventus Super XS) for $209 CAD, and that is about as much I would want to spend on a GPU.

Is the 1650 the best choice? Is there a better option? My budget is quite restrictive, but I still want the best value.

Solution
The best thing the GTX 1650 has going for it, is that the low profile models are the fastest available gaming GPUs that are low power enough to not require PCIE power cables.

If you can stretch your budget just a bit more, you could get the 1650 Super which is around 25% faster and very close in performance to the GTX 1660.

DSzymborski

Titan
Unfortunately, I'm going to give you a fairly vague answer: maybe. Essentially, the 1650 disappointed at launch since it generally fell short of the RX 570, which you could usually find cheaper. You could even frequently find an RX 580 cheaper as well. But unfortunately, the RX 570s/580s are slowly disappearing from the market and the 5500XT is coming in a little more expensive than the 1650 in Canada. So if you come across an RX 570, it would likely be a better option, but then, it also requires a better power supply than a 1650, further complicating the issue.

So the 1650 is probably your best choice at this price looking at the Canadian availability of the other GPUs, but it might not be if there's a very specific set of conditions (finding a cheaper RX 570, have a quality PSU already).

Reactions: TechiGamer
The best thing the GTX 1650 has going for it, is that the low profile models are the fastest available gaming GPUs that are low power enough to not require PCIE power cables.

If you can stretch your budget just a bit more, you could get the 1650 Super which is around 25% faster and very close in performance to the GTX 1660.

Reactions: TechiGamer
Solution

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Unfortunately, I'm going to give you a fairly vague answer: maybe. Essentially, the 1650 disappointed at launch since it generally fell short of the RX 570, which you could usually find cheaper. You could even frequently find an RX 580 cheaper as well. But unfortunately, the RX 570s/580s are slowly disappearing from the market and the 5500XT is coming in a little more expensive than the 1650 in Canada. So if you come across an RX 570, it would likely be a better option, but then, it also requires a better power supply than a 1650, further complicating the issue.

So the 1650 is probably your best choice at this price looking at the Canadian availability of the other GPUs, but it might not be if there's a very specific set of conditions (finding a cheaper RX 570, have a quality PSU already).

I can grab a 580 for around the same price as the 1650 (only $20 more). Should I go for the 580 then? Or is there another product you would recommend?

The 5500 XT 4GB is the same price as the 580. The 8GB 5500XT is beyond my budget.

I can grab a 580 for around the same price as the 1650 (only $20 more). Should I go for the 580 then? Or is there another product you would recommend?

The 5500 XT 4GB is the same price as the 580. The 8GB 5500XT is beyond my budget.
If you go with AMD and RX 5500 XT 4GB is in your budget range, grab that over the GTX 1650 or RX 580, because it's around 35% faster than the 1650 and uses only a bit more power than the GTX 1650 Super. The RX 580 is slightly faster than the GTX 1650 Super, but uses double or nearly double the power.

The performance of these cards is too low for anything more than 1080p high+ graphics setting, so having that extra vram won't help much unless you are running 1440p or want 2160p.

TRENDING THREADS