[SOLVED] Is i5-10600kf a good server CPU?

Mar 1, 2021
Hey,

I was wondering if Is i5-10600kf will make for a good server CPU ? My reason is that its pretty cheap 270$ CAD. I am trying to build a home server for a full web app that can support 1000 concurrent users. I was also thinking of slapping 32 gb ram and some storage.

Good idea? .. Bad idea?

Solution
Electricity is pretty cheap - I calculated using 700W power supply for whole year. Its less than 200$ / year. But I read that CPU overclocking does not kill it because it goes obsolete before that. Also, I was focusing on cooling very nicely. So thought it could work. Doesnt have to OC 24/7. 12 hours a day is ok I guess.

Vast generalization about Overclocking. If you're overclocking and fully loaded running 24x7 you certainly can wear out the CPU. And you will need to deal with downtime if you need to clean out dust etc. And turning an OC on/off isn't like flipping a switch, you'll need to take your server down to set the settings back to stock. Aside from the fact for your use case its completely 100% useless.

I feel like...

USAFRet

Titan
Can you please help me understand what additional information do you need? Also can you tell me why is it not a good CPU? Its user benchmark results are very high.

A CPU selection can't be done in isolation. You're building a whole system.

Just some things for you to consider:

What are the requirements of the software you're running?
What stress testing have you done so far?
How many transactions per second?
Relying on "userbenchmark.com" results for a 1,000 user server is a fools game.

Mar 1, 2021
A CPU selection can't be done in isolation. You're building a whole system.

Just some things for you to consider:

What are the requirements of the software you're running?
What stress testing have you done so far?
How many transactions per second?
Relying on "userbenchmark.com" results for a 1,000 user server is a fools game.
I understand what you are saying - but fool as may be, I was under the impression that a faster cpu meant doing things faster. So I tried to differentiate between server and desktop CPUs. I understood that I should not worry babout overclocking damage because the CPU will become obsolete before it died.

Then I understood my budget, which TBH is not really more than 1000. So I decided that I ll try to get the best parts for my budget i.e. 32 gb ram (even 64 gb maybe) , 1tb ssd and i5 10600kf cpu because it fix snugly in my budget.

Then I wanted to knows if this cpu can support 1000 ppl chatting concurrently (approximately). I asked because I have no previous experience with this tech... BUT I am loving it!

Also, I understood where you are coming from - lets say there are 100,000 TPS - can that be done ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
To have 1000 concurrent users and have an actual user experience thats not downright frustrating requires a lot more horsepower than a 6c/12t i5 can provide, unless its the most basic of applications, then just MAYBE it could work ok.... Until your ISP is unhappy about the massive amount of incoming and outgoing direct connections.

So again we need to know your goals IN DETAIL for what you're designing, and maybe we can make a recommendation, but I don't care how much ram you have, most likely that i5 isn't going to cut it.

Mar 1, 2021
To have 1000 concurrent users and have an actual user experience thats not downright frustrating requires a lot more horsepower than a 6c/12t i5 can provide, unless its the most basic of applications, then just MAYBE it could work ok.... Until your ISP is unhappy about the massive amount of incoming and outgoing direct connections.

So again we need to know your goals IN DETAIL for what you're designing, and maybe we can make a recommendation, but I don't care how much ram you have, most likely that i5 isn't going to cut it.
You guys are awesome and knowledgble! Love that. My idea is basically a website where users can send each other text messages. Other than that the web app does not have an video / audio streaming component. Just basic texting. So when that is the case - how many concurrent users can text back each other using this server.

The cpu will also have to care for other things such as maintaining API gateway, DB, cache..etc. AND if power allows - a load balancer for a multithreaded app

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
You guys are awesome and knowledgble! Love that. My idea is basically a website where users can send each other text messages. Other than that the web app does not have an video / audio streaming component. Just basic texting. So when that is the case - how many concurrent users can text back each other using this server.

The cpu will also have to care for other things such as maintaining API gateway, DB, cache..etc. AND if power allows - a load balancer for a multithreaded app

If its not a live chat type of app but a simple texting app you may not need a lot of power, but you're also reinventing the wheel here, as there are many phone apps that do this already.

If you're not programming it, who is? And/or what backend are you using?

Mar 1, 2021
You're coming at this from the wrong direction.

What does the server OS and applications require/recommend, for that number of concurrent users?
It will have react front end, nginx, mqsql and memcache. A basic end to end website that allows communication - text based only. Also, I understood one more thing- I need to get proper network connection because ISP will throttle data...WTH

Mar 1, 2021
If its not a live chat type of app but a simple texting app you may not need a lot of power, but you're also reinventing the wheel here, as there are many phone apps that do this already.

Correct - I am not building whatsapp or anything like that . I was just giving a high level idea of what the app can and will do.

Mar 1, 2021

I am programming it - MySQL, nginx and memcache. Also an API gateway and a load balancer.

USAFRet

Titan
It will have react front end, nginx, mqsql and memcache. A basic end to end website that allows communication - text based only. Also, I understood one more thing- I need to get proper network connection because ISP will throttle data...WTH
1,000 concurrent users and connections is a business.
A residential account is not a business.

Your ISP will push back on this.

USAFRet

Titan
Piece of <Mod Edit> IP, I ll have to look into this. Can you help me with the components however?
That is the case with any ISP.
Sure, you can get a business account. For more $$.

Components?
What has your testing shown so far?
10 users, 100 users...?

"load balancer" ? Now you're talking about multiple boxes. Or multiple VM's in one big box.
Which your chosen i5 probably won't cut it.