Is iBuyPower a good company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenL13

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
So I've decided on buying a 1200$ desktop custom made by bestbuy through bestbuy. It's an iBuyPower and so far all the reviews are 5 stars. I was wondering if anyone had bad experience through what I'm doing or what to look out for?

Solution
It may be cheaper to go straight from their site. Cyberpower is usually cheaper.
http://www.ibuypower.com/
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
Another option would be to buy the parts yourself and take it to a local pc shop to build. Usually it's cheap though you would want to check cost first. So you have a wider selection of parts and you get your pc quicker.
custom gaming pc makers like cyberpowerpc and ibuypower are trusted for the ost part(they generally have high standards for shipping). its generally looked partially down on as companies building your parts severely limits choice of parts, and you pay a premium to get equal hardware to a fully custom built setup, as shipping a whole desktop is costly(as they dont have shipping contracts like big name part seller stores do with the shipping companies probably) and that they price all of the computer parts at their own price, usualy without price reductions and sales. Its an option for those who cannot/are afraid to build a computer but its a sizable premium to contract a company to do so.

It may be cheaper to go straight from their site. Cyberpower is usually cheaper.
http://www.ibuypower.com/
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
Another option would be to buy the parts yourself and take it to a local pc shop to build. Usually it's cheap though you would want to check cost first. So you have a wider selection of parts and you get your pc quicker.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
Cyberpower and IBUYPOWER both have higher standards than most OEMs, but really they aren't any better. I have heard a ton of horror stories from posters here surrounding both companies and it's enough for me to know to stay away from them. Digital Storm and Origin are far better OEMs, but their systems also cost more.

S Pompei

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014

I purchased a gaming computer from IBuy power, Christmas 2013. We built the computer specifically for our sons needs utilizing their online site. After several follow-up emails advising us of the status and each stage of perfecting that the computer was being run through, we thought that this company on the surface appeared to be very diligent and reliable. The computer arrived and when we plugged it in on Christmas morning it was dead. No customer service or tech support was offered through the holiday , which was the First red flag seeing that the holiday would be a period of high volume calls with customer issues. So my son's Christmas gift sat dead through Christmas. When we were able to reach tech support the first question we were asked was if we had googled the issue and tried to repair it.... Second red flag. They were unable to determine the problem and so the computer went back for repairs. IBuy provided the return label and after many phone calls and three weeks... The computer ended back on my front porch as IBuy Power had refused their own shipping label...Red flag number three. We again shipped the package and two weeks later it was finally logged into IBuys system. I was then told that they closed down for inventory analysis and the computer then sat for two more weeks there untouched. Another three weeks more had passed and a plethora of calls on my behalf, it was supposedly fixed... And I was told it was everything from the video card to the motherboard.... And it was shipped back to me. Surprise!!! It was dead again! So this time tench support had my husband take the computer apart to test for issues. They determined it was the video card that they had supposedly replaced! We were told to remove it and ship it back and once they had received it...Processed it.... And logged it.... A new video card would be shipped back to us, so that we could install it!!! We'll here it is March 19,2014 and I'm still waiting for the mythical video card... And a Christmas present which has never worked is still sitting dead in my son's room. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY! This will be my final attempt at repairing this PITA and then it's a refund,

chrisandthemum

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
We too are having a similar situation to S Pompei. Bought the computer for our daughter's 16th birthday, January 29, 2014...computer arrived - dead. Spent hours on the phone/online trying to trouble shoot with customer service to no avail...Returned computer to Fryes to exchange for a new one. This one worked, but only for less than a week before one technical issue after another started going wrong. Drove the computer directly to the City of Industry, CA, where the company is located, and was assured that we would have a working computer in 5 working days...10 working days later I am unable to reach our Customer Service contact despite calling 3-4 times each day and leaving messages. Don't know when my daughter will get her machine back. Frankly, I just want a refund so we can do what we should have done in the beginning - build our own gaming computer! I do NOT recommend this company!

AnnoyedInArizona

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Stay far far far away!!! My son saved his money to buy a computer. On Jan. 27th he purchased it. Here is is almost 3 months later and the computer is still not working and we have sent it back now FOUR times for "repairs" Amazingly we are now "outside of the refund window." Well, NO KIDDING. You have taken your sweet time trying to fix this situation. It's utter nonsense.
Never again. And I will work to tell as many people as I can about this poor excuse for a company. Nobody really wants to help. They pass the buck on down the line with the end result "Ship it back to us and we will fix it." I think they need to fire their "technicians" as they obviously are clueless.

Drphillgood

Reputable
May 9, 2014
Funny how many people come to the internet to whine about an experience when there are so many that have great ones with a company and just don't comment because they don't need to "vent"

I'm here to say that for a reasonable price you get to pick what you want in your computer. Yes if you just click and buy the "sale" computer you get a crap power supply and odd setup of high ram low video card, but if you take a second to go through you can build the computer however you want.

I've bought 3 computers from iBuyPower. My personal computer I've been using for over 3 years without fail. My wifes computer we've had for almost 5 years. There was a problem with the RAM that we sent back and was returned to us within 2 weeks through the warranty.
I bought a 3rd computer for my brother in law that lives with us during the holidays that was an extremely good deal. I checked the parts across the internet and the whole computer came out barely over the price to purchase all components seperately. And it runs everything we play great.
I've built my own computers before in the past and it's fun and pretty cheap, but this company is NOT on the whole as bad as these 5 people state it is.

SlapshotChamp

Reputable
May 10, 2014
They use used parts to build. They charge you $$$$ to ship and then $$$$ to ship back for repairs. The retail reseller site with positive reviews is phoney and all they reviews are the same from their employees. "Bob was great", "Jim was great", like they give a name every time you make a purchase. These are not verified purchases.

Most of their systems come DOA. I have never known anyone to get a working PC from them. Now, I saw a review from someone on youtube who gave it a perfect score because they where excited but hadn't even plugged it in yet.

Don't forget the 15% restocking fee and the long turn around that eats any fake warrantee. Dont expect to get what you order.

SlapshotChamp

Reputable
May 10, 2014

Funny how people come to the internet to HOLD bad companies accountable...LOL, Yep people who buy dead PC's for 1500$ are just whinners? Glad you bought 17 ibuypowers for friends and family over two week holidays that all where the best thing ever made perfect 10's. Except for the one you had to ship back because t didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.