[SOLVED] Is Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 compatible with ASUS N551JX?

Sep 1, 2021
I have an ASUS N551JX with a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wifi chip that only supports 2.4Ghz channel. The computer performs poorly with a wireless connection and I usually employ the ethernet cable.

In order to improve it, I started thinking to change the current wifi chip with one that supports 5Ghz channels. The business computer that my company gave me (Lenovo), which outperforms my own ASUS laptop with respect to wireless connection, has installed an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 ( https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94150/intel-dual-band-wireless-ac-8265.html ). If I installed the same chip on my ASUS N551JX, would it be compatible?

Last edited:
Solution
The intel ac7260 should work in that laptop. Be very careful you need the part number that ends in HMW they also make NGW which would fit in the work laptop. All wifi cards have moved to the M2 format cards. They do not even make the PCMCI half cards in the very newest wifi chipset. The newer cards also only support windows 10 64bit. The ac7260 will work fine on older OS also. What I am saying is that this is likely going to be the last wifi upgrade you are going to be able to ever make on that laptop.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you state the model for the Asus laptop handed to you courtesy of your office? My search on the Intel AC 8265 reveals that the form factor will not correspond to the slot on your laptop and as such, chances are you won't be able to drop that adapter into your own laptop but you should be able to drop in an Intel Centrino 6230 adapter and gain access to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies.

You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your laptop prior to dropping in the Intel N 6230 adapter. On second thoughts, what is the SKU to your laptop? Does it come equipped with a 4th gen i7 processor? If so, you should be able to drop in an Intel 7260 AC adapter in there.

Sep 1, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you state the model for the Asus laptop handed to you courtesy of your office? My search on the Intel AC 8265 reveals that the form factor will not correspond to the slot on your laptop and as such, chances are you won't be able to drop that adapter into your own laptop but you should be able to drop in an Intel Centrino 6230 adapter and gain access to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies.

You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your laptop prior to dropping in the Intel N 6230 adapter. On second thoughts, what is the SKU to your laptop? Does it come equipped with a 4th gen i7 processor? If so, you should be able to drop in an Intel 7260 AC adapter in there.

The business computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad T-470s.
My own computer has the processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2594 Mhz, 4 core, 8 logical processors

The intel ac7260 should work in that laptop. Be very careful you need the part number that ends in HMW they also make NGW which would fit in the work laptop. All wifi cards have moved to the M2 format cards. They do not even make the PCMCI half cards in the very newest wifi chipset. The newer cards also only support windows 10 64bit. The ac7260 will work fine on older OS also. What I am saying is that this is likely going to be the last wifi upgrade you are going to be able to ever make on that laptop.

Reactions: gggplaya
Solution