Is Intel pulling a Fermi?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
We all saw earlier nVidia showing a card that wasnt there, even have pictures of its CEO holding up a fake.
Earlier this week, Intel showed off what some believed to be LRB. Some even wrote about it as such
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/17/sc09_rattner_keynote/
While others took the time to see the others pulling a "mistake"
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9140949/Intel_to_unveil_energy_efficient_many_core_research_chip?taxonomyId=1
Its not hard to see someone was pulling something or other

jennyh

Splendid

I remember saying it too.

Thing is it all depends on stuff like this. With Larrabee failed and Nvidia could be on the way to a huge failure too, that could leave AMD in a very powerful position.

I dont believe the EU or even the US government will allow intel to aquire Nvidia. Right now I think it's more of a possibility though because Nvidia are in danger of failing totally if fermi doesn't happen.

Intel wont be allowed to aquire any company that maintains their monopoly, but they will be allowed to aquire a company that lets them compete equally. Anything else would be illegal I'd think.

And AMD> They would both get a slap for that.

Oh and you proved my point. We all think in gaming terms. But that Netbook with a nV GPU has less than half the battery life when using the nV GPU vs the GMA.

And I never said a thing about ATIs marketing. I was talking about their approach with game devs. They were doing what nV does only better. After AMD bought them that stopped.

All I know is that IF Intel takes nV it would be a downfall for us all. We would lose customization options due to performance issues and so on and so forth.

jennyh

Splendid
See Jimmy, I fear for Nvidia 's future in an x86 dominated world.

JHH and all their fanatics deserve to see the company go under, but there are more good people there than bad. Nvidia have great engineers too, almost the equal of AMD/ATI's.

It's a terrible shame that three great companies cannot share but instead have to annihilate each other. Just look at what they are doing jimmy. Fear of each other, fear of losing what they have - that is what drives them on.

Just look at intel right now. Can you imagine what it will be like when intel loses the performance crown and loses 20-30% of the market? We're talking TENS OF BILLIONS of dollars jimmy.

That is what made a company like intel try to defend its position in the first place. This is why intel is branching out into areas it has no need to be in (like ssd's, mobiles), breaking laws at every step of the way. Don't you see?

jennyh

Splendid
http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/nvda

Nvidia up 13%, AMD up 8% on this news.

The incredible thing is, intel are hardly losing anything. Any other company who gave this news would see their stock plummet but intel seem so resilient that they can withstand what is basically a disaster.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Nvidia are about to be aquired by intel soon. Intel shareholders might not think it's that bad but it is.

You're making a rather bold assumption here, since Intel is already able to produce 32nm in volume, a feat which is quite a ways away for AMD/GloFo.

Theres alot of ifs involved here.
IF AMDs early edition comes in early, IF its solution performs that well, IF it can break thru for some great design wins to OEMs, then IF Intel doesnt have a competent solution as well, and finally, this simply wont happen over night even if the first 3 IFS come to fruition, this is going to take time no matter what, even IF

stefanbanev

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009

>For the HPC market, Im afraid cpus will see more and more Fermi/5xxx/LRB intrusions, and cpus will be left behind, until we see the fusion type chips out.

It's total nonsense; until GPU will not become an efficient MIMD machine it has no chance to grow horizontal. When it will be capable to run spec int rate or/and server benchmarks then it can become a contender for HPC market.