[SOLVED] Is it bad for my cpu to heat up to 93 degrees when gaming?

Sep 12, 2021
Hi, my cpu has been heating up to 93 degrees when gaming. I have a Core i5-9400f with stock cooler, and I use CoreTemp to see what temp my cpu goes up to. When playing games like Minecraft, my pc heats up to around 80 degrees, and it heats up to around 93 when playing games like Apex Legends, or Rust. I've heard that my pc case is pretty bad for cooling, will getting a new case help cool my pc? And how bad is this affecting my cpu?

A link to my pc:
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WK...MMASnigKvxRbWVVntY-b2GaRyfCF5_2gaArtIEALw_wcB

Solution
93 is too high, and you have a problem. It is recommended that it never exceeds 80C.

Things that you can try:
  1. If your desktop and CPU fans are at the right direction: Front and upside fans intake, back and downside fans are exhaust. And CPU fans are accordingly.
  2. Buy a new cooler that can fit to your case, but if it does not fit, buy a new case, and yes it will help.

Apex is not a CPU dependent game, The temperature should be less than 80C, My 9700K with a two fan CPU cooler, does not exceed 80C.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
93 is too high, and you have a problem. It is recommended that it never exceeds 80C.

Things that you can try:
  1. If your desktop and CPU fans are at the right direction: Front and upside fans intake, back and downside fans are exhaust. And CPU fans are accordingly.
  2. Buy a new cooler that can fit to your case, but if it does not fit, buy a new case, and yes it will help.

Apex is not a CPU dependent game, The temperature should be less than 80C, My 9700K with a two fan CPU cooler, does not exceed 80C.

Solution
It is recommended
Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C. Any temperature below this is a "safe operating temperature". If it was not safe, Intel would have lowered the thermal throttling temperature sometime during the last 10 to 12 years.

stock cooler
The stock cooler falls into the barely adequate category. If high temperatures bother you, buy a better cooler. There is no real reason to do this. Your CPU will not run any faster. It will continue to run at full speed unless it gets up to 100°C. Then it will only slow down as much as necessary to keep the CPU from going over 100°C. Intel thermal throttling works great. No need to worry about your CPU temperature.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi, my cpu has been heating up to 93 degrees when gaming. I have a Core i5-9400f with stock cooler, and I use CoreTemp to see what temp my cpu goes up to. When playing games like Minecraft, my pc heats up to around 80 degrees, and it heats up to around 93 when playing games like Apex Legends, or Rust. I've heard that my pc case is pretty bad for cooling, will getting a new case help cool my pc? And how bad is this affecting my cpu?

A link to my pc:
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WK...MMASnigKvxRbWVVntY-b2GaRyfCF5_2gaArtIEALw_wcB
I would not run mine at 93C to hot for my taste, buy a decent aftermarket CPU cooler.
It's true it will thermal throttle but whoever tells you it's safe to run it at 100C because of that ask them would they run theirs's like that the answer would be no.

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
This happened to me while using a case with no fans but the cpu cooler fan only. 93 is hot but imagine i got to 100-103 at the time. I tried changing thermal paste, pointing a stand fan at my pc, nothing. All I did was buy an AIO cooler and that did it for me. Now my cpu temps are peaking at 68-70c

Sep 14, 2021
Okay first off 93 degrees is getting into the realm of you need better cooling. All we can really suggest to you is better fans, water cooling, better heat sync and copper coating. And regardless of what the heat throttle cap is 93 degrees while it may not "damage the cpu" in words of the company it can damage surrounding parts by output of more heat than they normally take. What I recommend is a better heatsync to draw heat away and much better fans as stock cooling is nowhere near gonna cut it for gaming and like I said before every type of cooling just invest in it at some point or another because it wont hurt to have extra cooling. thermal paste, pads, heatsyncs the works just make sure everything gets proper air flow and cooling and you should be fine. If that fails then I suggest capping the cpu performance to limit heat and possibly limiting in game settings, You said you play Minecraft so use a resource pack that uses less pixels.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Okay first off 93 degrees is getting into the realm of you need better cooling. All we can really suggest to you is better fans, water cooling, better heat sync and copper coating. And regardless of what the heat throttle cap is 93 degrees while it may not "damage the cpu" in words of the company it can damage surrounding parts by output of more heat than they normally take. What I recommend is a better heatsync to draw heat away and much better fans as stock cooling is nowhere near gonna cut it for gaming and like I said before every type of cooling just invest in it at some point or another because it wont hurt to have extra cooling. thermal paste, pads, heatsyncs the works just make sure everything gets proper air flow and cooling and you should be fine. If that fails then I suggest capping the cpu performance to limit heat and possibly limiting in game settings, You said you play Minecraft so use a resource pack that uses less pixels.
One thing I need to add: A computer that can reach 93C in Apex Legends, can easily reach more than 100C in more demanding games. It is not Battlefield V or RDR2 or Cyberpunk.

The factory Intel cooler included with the i5-8400 were known for allowing CPUs to get to the throttling point under heavy loads, so I doubt the 100 MHz increase in clock speed with the 9400F allowed for much improvement....

With Noctua now making $50 coolers, the choice seems clear...! :)

TRENDING THREADS