Is it bad to buy a free sync monitor when you have a Nvidia GPU?

jordancoyne

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
I recently bought a View Sonic XG2402 from amazon and my Pc runs with a GTX 1060, was just wondering if I should return it or if it is still okay and will make no difference?

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
I mean, it doesn't work like that... Only certain Freesync Monitors work with Nvidia GPUs (With a simple google search you should be able to find some). What Freesync does, similarly to what G-Sync does, is that it synchronises the Monitor with the GPU. If Nvidia doesn't support a specific monitor, then you cannot use G-Sync. This may make the image look bad (Not unbearable or anything, but it won't be used to its fullest potential). I would say you return it but it depends on what you want to do. The monitor I would purchase, that is within your budget range, is Acer XFA240 bmjdpr 24" Gaming G-SYNC Compatible Monitor from Amazon.com

jordancoyne

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

How important do you reckon it is to have freesync/G-sync, the monitor I am coming from is a 60hz 5ms 24" Acer(I can't remember the brand but it's like 5/6 years old), So would not having either of the syncs make a difference for me when I wouldn't know better?

also https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-XF240Hbmjdpr-Monitor-FreeSync-Adjustable/dp/B01684HUJU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549195789&sr=8-2&keywords=Acer+XFA240 is the one that is in U.K (Where im based) and this only says free sync and not g- sync.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
G-Sync allows the Monitor to synchronise the Refresh rate to that of the graphics' card, making it look times smoother. In many games having G-Sync and an Nvidia graphics card will make them look butter smooth.

For you, someone with no experience with it it will make the games look times better. Now, you come from a quite old, not necessarily awful monitor. First of all, I would like to talk about them Hz. Going from 60 Hz to over 144Hz is a considerable improvement, and it will be very noticeable. You will be able to notice the difference by merely moving your cursor, the images will appear a lot smoother. Next, I want to talk about the Monitor panels. The monitor you're looking to purchase has a TN panel technology. TN panel is faster and cheaper than the ISP one, but it has poorer viewing angles and colours. I would highly recommend IPS for any use. IPS provides cleaner viewing angels as well as more vibrant colours and usually comes with higher refresh rates (Hz). Lastly, the size of the monitor. Now, I have been using a 27" Curved monitor for quite some time now (Approximately two years), and I can't see myself going back to a 24" one. Having a larger monitor will allow you to see details more precise and will make the overall image experience better.

Differences between Freesync and Gsync are scant. Both technologies do the same job, synchronise the monitor's refresh rate with the GPU one. The only significant difference is the fact that Freesync only works with AMD GPU (And selected Nvidia GPUs which can be found with a simple google search) and G-Sync is supported only by Nvidia's graphics cards.

I mean, it doesn't work like that... Only certain Freesync Monitors work with Nvidia GPUs (With a simple google search you should be able to find some). What Freesync does, similarly to what G-Sync does, is that it synchronises the Monitor with the GPU. If Nvidia doesn't support a specific monitor, then you cannot use G-Sync
This is not correct. Please see here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1021857-g-sync-compatible-master-thread/