Question Is it bad to use smart power strip with speakers?

Nick_156

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I’m interested in buying a smart power strip to use with two studio speakers because it’s really annoying to have to reach behind the speakers to hit the power button every time I want to turn them on, with my setup. I wanted to know if it would be bad for the speakers because I understand it to be like unplugging them while they’re on. My friend also tried this and said his speakers popped every time he used the smart strip to turn them off.

Dunno, a bit from googling some people recommend a timer delay? (remote turn on delay box)
Cause as I've understood, your amp has a relay not a transformer which that relay as it clicks it just rises voltage from 0 to hero in less than mili second.

I hope American?Audiophile (not sure of his nick here) sees this, he may recommend you exactly what you need.

Whether speakers pop really depend on the amplifier. You can test this out easy by wiring your powered speakers to a switched power strip.

My entertainment center speakers do a small power-on pop (closer to a click) since forever and don't bother me. YMMV.

I’m interested in buying a smart power strip to use with two studio speakers because it’s really annoying to have to reach behind the speakers to hit the power button every time I want to turn them on, with my setup. I wanted to know if it would be bad for the speakers because I understand it to be like unplugging them while they’re on. My friend also tried this and said his speakers popped every time he used the smart strip to turn them off.

They don't use that much power when off, how often to you turn them on and/off? You can probably just leave them on all the time.