Question Is it fine for my mother board to have 2 fans in one fan header for each header (3 headers)?

Feb 28, 2024
I want to have 5 fans with 2 pairs of fans each with a fan splitter connected to each fan header on my MB except for one (because it's 5). Will that be fine for my MB, power-wise?

sorry if my explanation is bad.

I want to have 5 fans with 2 pairs of fans each with a fan splitter connected to each fan header on my MB except for one (because it's 5). Will that be fine for my MB, power-wise?

sorry if my explanation is bad.

motherboard your using ?
most motherboards can support up to 2 fans per header 3 on one header might cause 1 fan to run slower. most fan headers are 1A which is about 12 watts most fans draw about 5 watts

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Assuming your fans are common ones, you have no problem. A typical fan today will draw at most 0.10 to 0.25 A, and each fan header can supply up to 1.0 A. So two fans on each header is NO problem. When you do this, IF both fans on one header are the same, then they will both run at virtually the same speed.

One factor you should be aware of. Every fan sends it speed signal as a stream of pulses back to the host header via Pin #3 of the header. But the header can only deal with ONE fan's stream of pulses. So ANY Splitter or Hub will send back the speed of only ONE of the fans connected to it, and the other will be ignored completely. In the Splitters commonly used today, if you look at the two male output connectors it has, one of them has all four pins, and the other has Pin #3 missing so it cannot send back the second fan's speed signal. So as you read fan speeds in BIOS Setup or somewhere else, each fan header can show you the speed of ONE of those fans of the pair, and not the other. This has NO impact on ability to control speed. It does affect the header's second function, though. Every header also monitors that speed signal for NO signal, which would indicate the fan has FAILED. If that happens you get a warning on your screen so you know it needs fixing. (The CPU_FAN header does more drastic action than that to protect the CPU from rapid overheating, but you are talking about your case ventilation fans.) So this failure detection can NOT check the second fan on a Splitter. From time to time YOU should look to verify that all five case fans still are working.

Feb 28, 2024
Assuming your fans are common ones, you have no problem. A typical fan today will draw at most 0.10 to 0.25 A, and each fan header can supply up to 1.0 A. So two fans on each header is NO problem. When you do this, IF both fans on one header are the same, then they will both run at virtually the same speed.

One factor you should be aware of. Every fan sends it speed signal as a stream of pulses back to the host header via Pin #3 of the header. But the header can only deal with ONE fan's stream of pulses. So ANY Splitter or Hub will send back the speed of only ONE of the fans connected to it, and the other will be ignored completely. In the Splitters commonly used today, if you look at the two male output connectors it has, one of them has all four pins, and the other has Pin #3 missing so it cannot send back the second fan's speed signal. So as you read fan speeds in BIOS Setup or somewhere else, each fan header can show you the speed of ONE of those fans of the pair, and not the other. This has NO impact on ability to control speed. It does affect the header's second function, though. Every header also monitors that speed signal for NO signal, which would indicate the fan has FAILED. If that happens you get a warning on your screen so you know it needs fixing. (The CPU_FAN header does more drastic action than that to protect the CPU from rapid overheating, but you are talking about your case ventilation fans.) So this failure detection can NOT check the second fan on a Splitter. From time to time YOU should look to verify that all five case fans still are working.
Holy smokes that's a lot but its helpful! Thanks.

Splitters are ok so long as you do not split too many fans.

But, Might I ask what you plan to do with so many fans?
What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement.
What do you need to cool?
Do you care about noise?