[SOLVED] Is it ok to stand on carpet while building my PC on a wooden table?

Mar 24, 2020
Sooo...I'm about to build my very first gaming/streaming PC ina few months and I heard about the carpet and PC's don't mix well thing so I was wondering. Is it ok to build my PC on a wooden desk while standing on carpet? the floor of my house is carpet and the only place that has tiles in my bathroom and kitchen. I won't be setting my PC on the carpet, I would just be standing and sometimes kneeling on the carpet while my PC is on a wooden desk. Oh and is it a must to have an anti-static work mat and an anti-static wrist band?

Solution
There is only a problem if you get static charge,you can decharge yourself by touching something grounded like the metal casing of your system.
If you go around your place and get static shocks all the time then maybe rethink building your system there but in general there is no problem if you are careful and decharge yourself every time before touching anything.
There is only a problem if you get static charge,you can decharge yourself by touching something grounded like the metal casing of your system.
If you go around your place and get static shocks all the time then maybe rethink building your system there but in general there is no problem if you are careful and decharge yourself every time before touching anything.

Solution
My last build I plugged in the psu to the mains supply but left the psu switched off. The psu is still grounded in this state but providing no power. I don’t have a good desk/table for building on so built on the living room floor on the carpet with the pc stood on the polystyrene packing the case came in. It worked without issue. I just try not to move too much on the carpet and kept touching the psu case. I’ve built/upgrade countless times using similar approach.

I accept it’s probably not recommended but we don’t all have a recommended workspace.