[SOLVED] Is it ok to undervolt an i5 3570 without OC & and is it possible on an h61 chipset?

Faaz__

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
Basically I got an i5 3570 non-k and Im currently running it with the stock intel heatsink while getting between 40-48 idle temps. So I was wondering if I could undervolt it to get better temps and how it would affect performance, do I need specific software for this and is my motherboard even capable mobo link:

http://www.afox-corp.com/en/products_details.asp?proid=242&typeid=37&id=37

Also this is a core temp screen shot https://ibb.co/GcG9M2J I post this because Im curious about the freaquency shouldnt it be 3.40Ghz or is it just cuz it is idle Im really new to Pc's and this is my first assembly of a pc and dnt worry about the thermal paste I applied the perfect pea sized drop right in the middle and thoroughly cleaned both the heatsink and IHS Shield beforehand! Any Help is Much Appreciated :)

Solution
There's 3 speeds to a cpu. Idle, base, turbo. With Speed Step enabled (default) when the pc detects lack of user input, it'll drop into idle states, cutting back on core frequency and voltages. Base speed for that cpu is the default working speed, which is 3.4GHz. Turbo is an intel factory overclock, and if enabled (default) will bump that base speed upto 3.8GHz, with any load over @ 30%. Which is almost anything you run, including moving the mouse.

So using the pc you'll see 3.8GHz, sitting idle after a few seconds you'll see 1.6GHz.

As to volting, Intel made many 3570's. And each one is unique, each responds slightly differently to voltages, current, power. Some run slightly hotter from slightly higher vcore needs, some run cooler...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 3 speeds to a cpu. Idle, base, turbo. With Speed Step enabled (default) when the pc detects lack of user input, it'll drop into idle states, cutting back on core frequency and voltages. Base speed for that cpu is the default working speed, which is 3.4GHz. Turbo is an intel factory overclock, and if enabled (default) will bump that base speed upto 3.8GHz, with any load over @ 30%. Which is almost anything you run, including moving the mouse.

So using the pc you'll see 3.8GHz, sitting idle after a few seconds you'll see 1.6GHz.

As to volting, Intel made many 3570's. And each one is unique, each responds slightly differently to voltages, current, power. Some run slightly hotter from slightly higher vcore needs, some run cooler from lower vcore, Intel isn't about to waste a lot of time testing every single 3570 it manufactured. So they set a blanket voltage higher than any recorded prototype registered. About 1.25v. My 3570k ran 4.3GHz at 1.108v happy as a clam at lower temps than stock default settings.

Yes, you can lower the vcore, how far will be on the cpu and what it needs, but keep in mind that vcore and VID go hand in hand, VID is what the cpu demands from the motherboard VRM's, and vcore is what the cpu actually uses, so you'll want to keep vid @ 0.05v higher than vcore if possible.

Last edited:
Solution

Faaz__

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017

As to volting, Intel made many 3570's. And each one is unique, each responds slightly differently to voltages, current, power. Some run slightly hotter from slightly higher vcore needs, some run cooler from lower vcore, Intel isn't about to waste a lot of time testing every single 3570 it manufactured. So they set a blanket voltage higher than any recorded prototype registered. About 1.25v. My 3570k ran 4.3GHz at 1.108v happy as a clam at lower temps than stock default settings.

Yes, you can lower the vcore, how far will be on the cpu and what it needs, but keep in mind that vcore and VID go hand in hand, VID is what the cpu demands from the motherboard VRM's, and vcore is what the cpu actually uses, so you'll want to keep vid @ 0.05v higher than vcore if possible.
Alright that really is a HUGE help, thank you. Also can you link me a program to undervolt as I didnt see any such options in the BIOS?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No such program. Bios is all manually adjusted. And all different between vendors, chipset and even model. But there's usually drop down menus under some of the tabs settings, to change from auto to manual, which often opens up other settings not shown.