Question Is it okay to run my gaming PC off of a extension cord and a power board?

Nov 21, 2019
I just moved my room around. My landlord is a complete idiot and only put one power outlet in this big room. I was wondering if it would be okay to run my PC AND TWO MONITORS off of a 6 outlet power board plugged into a 5m extension cord which is plugged into the only outlet. No other way to do it. I need to change my room around to allow a bit of space where the portable aircon can go, which I may have plugged in sometimes as it’s nearly summer.

PC uses a 600w power supply, GTX 1080 graphics card, a 500gb SSD, a 4tb HDD, 8gb of RAM (upgrading soon) and an ATX motherboard.

I’m just worried that it will be harmed by a lack of power.

I appreciate the help in advance.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
depends on the power board (I assume you mean one of these
universalpowerstrip.jpg
).
I just looked at mine at its rated at 1600W, so interestingly is the extension cord I just looked at.

I do not think it will be an issue even at full, but double-check the cables max rated wattage and make sure you are under that (50% is my suggestion). resistance along the cables will create excess heat so to keep the heating down and limit the wattage passing through it. stranded cables (found in extensions) are not as efficient (heats up) as the solid copper wiring in the walls.
the longer the cable the more resistance so keep the run short (less than 10m), the draw in spec (50% capacity) and you are fine.

Reactions: BobGoatGaming