[SOLVED] Is it possible that I killed my HDD?

Jun 2, 2021
Yesterday I was defragmenting my HDD for the first time and after it was finished I decided to restart my PC. When it restarted a message during boot appeared that it was still defragmenting and after it finished my PC booted up but my HDD was nowhere to be found either on disk management or BIOS, and when I would restart my PC again it would take 25-30 minutes to boot up even though I have the OS installed on my SSD but if unplugged the HDD my PC took like 20 seconds to boot up. I tried a lot of things to fix my HDD such as checking and changing the SATA cables but nothing would make my HDD appear. Is there any way to fix my HDD at this point?

These are my specs:
Intel i5 6400
gtx 1060
12gb ram
Kingston ssd 120gb
WD hdd 500gb
Power supply yeyian 500w 80plus
Mother board gygabite GA-H110M-H

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could try and take the HDD that's affected to a donor system and pair it with an available SATA port on said donor system and see if you can see the drive both in BIOS and the donor system's OS. If it's not found there either, then the drive is a goner. Make and model of your PSU for your system that exhibited the HDD issue?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You could try and take the HDD that's affected to a donor system and pair it with an available SATA port on said donor system and see if you can see the drive both in BIOS and the donor system's OS. If it's not found there either, then the drive is a goner. Make and model of your PSU for your system that exhibited the HDD issue?

Reactions: Zhongli2.0
Solution
Jun 3, 2021
Defragmentation usually does not kill the hard drive. But this is in case you have not had any problems before. Therefore, before carrying out such operations, it is better for you to scan the disk for bad sectors. You can use the Victoria program for this. Now you can try copying information to another medium or clone a disk. If you need to recover files, then you can use Easus or Partition Recovery. I hope that you will avoid serious problems and the loss of important files.

Last edited: