[SOLVED] Is it possible to portforward ethernet adapter ethernet over wifi?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2791492
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2791492

I have a setup with a secondary PC running an ethernet cable from my main PC because I don't have a wifi card for it, and I am not close enough to the router to get a connection.
Would it be possible to port forward the connections from the secondary PC? I attempted port forwarding and I kept getting an error saying "the ip address and lan ip address should be in the same subnet"
I apologize if this is a stupid question, I am not experienced with networked very well and I couldn't find any solutions online. I understand the dangers of port forwarding, I just wanna play some games with some friends.
I appreciate any help I can get.

edit - Both PC's are on the latest version of Windows 10

Solution
So your main pc can get internet from the router via wifi but you secondary pc can not. How far is it located from the main PC and are you sure it can't get wifi. A wifi card is going to be much simpler than trying to share the connection from your main pc.

In any case it is not port forwarding that is only really done on a internet router. The function you want is called ICS but it has many downsides. You have in effect made your expensive pc into a dumb router. You have to be very careful about what you run on the main pc to not affect the traffic passing through it from the second pc. ICS was designed when pc used to need to share a dialup telephone modem. They have done little updates and it is a really dumb...
So your main pc can get internet from the router via wifi but you secondary pc can not. How far is it located from the main PC and are you sure it can't get wifi. A wifi card is going to be much simpler than trying to share the connection from your main pc.

In any case it is not port forwarding that is only really done on a internet router. The function you want is called ICS but it has many downsides. You have in effect made your expensive pc into a dumb router. You have to be very careful about what you run on the main pc to not affect the traffic passing through it from the second pc. ICS was designed when pc used to need to share a dialup telephone modem. They have done little updates and it is a really dumb application.

It is not really a recommended solution but you can go to microsoft site for instructions on how to set it up.

Solution
you can also set up a bridge network between the wifi and ethernet port to the 2nd pc, good guide about it here

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

They use an intel ethernet port as the source (where yours will be the wifi card) and their USB3 gig ethernet is for the client (where yours will be the on-board ethernet) so just change accordingly.

I did the same for my son where he had only one wired port in his room and wanted to connect up an HDTV, xbox and playstation to his PC, a couple of dual-port gig ethernet PCIE card pulls out of old servers worked well to get them all going!

you can also set up a bridge network between the wifi and ethernet port to the 2nd pc, good guide about it here

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

They use an intel ethernet port as the source (where yours will be the wifi card) and their USB3 gig ethernet is for the client (where yours will be the on-board ethernet) so just change accordingly.

I did the same for my son where he had only one wired port in his room and wanted to connect up an HDTV, xbox and playstation to his PC, a couple of dual-port gig ethernet PCIE card pulls out of old servers worked well to get them all going!
This you can do but the reverse you must use ICS. He wants to use the wifi as the main connection and connect a remote device via ethernet.

The problem is a wifi connection is encrypted and it uses mac address of the end stations as part of the encryption. This makes the connection very secure because no other device can pass over the connection but it also prevents just simple bridging other mac addresses. There are 2 common solutions. The first repeaters use a unoffical feature called WDS that most routers support to pass mac addresses. I do not think windows supports this kind of bridging. The other they use NAT to translate all the devices to the same mac and IP. This is what ICS is doing.

The reason you can connect multiple wifi device back via ethernet is ethernet is not encrypted and mulitple mac addresses can pass over it.