Question Is it possible to program an ARGB controller into a computer case?

Oct 15, 2023
I recently purchased a Fractal Air Pop case. One of its features is a colored button that lights up in line with the fans. The problem is that I ordered the case in green color, and the built-in (programmed) modes do not have a static green ARGB color.

My question is, is it possible to program the controller somehow, so as to upload the correct modes to it?

However, is it better to somehow connect the controller to the motherboard, but I'm not sure if it will then interact with the button.

In the package with the case did not come an additional ARGB cable to connect the fans to the controller and then to the motherboard.

In this case, would the solution be to buy an additional ARGB connector (female-female), with which I connect the controller with the fans and the motherboard?

On the other hand, programming the controller sounds like an interesting challenge, so even if this is not the most optimal solution, I would love to know the thoughts of people whose tried this.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
However, is it better to somehow connect the controller to the motherboard, but I'm not sure if it will then interact with the button.
This is easiest "fix", given that your MoBo has one +5V ARGB 3-pin header free.

Once you connect your fans to it, the RGB button on case's front I/O won't work anymore.

In the package with the case did not come an additional ARGB cable to connect the fans to the controller and then to the motherboard.
At page 21 in your PC case manual, there is shown the connection method of ARGB fans. All you need to do, is unplug the 3-pin ARGB cable from PC case RGB controller and plug the cable into MoBo.

Then, ARGB is either controlled by MoBo RGB software or you can use 3rd party software, like SignalRGB.

Oct 15, 2023
This is easiest "fix", given that your MoBo has one +5V ARGB 3-pin header free.

Once you connect your fans to it, the RGB button on case's front I/O won't work anymore.

At page 21 in your PC case manual, there is shown the connection method of ARGB fans. All you need to do, is unplug the 3-pin ARGB cable from PC case RGB controller and plug the cable into MoBo.

Then, ARGB is either controlled by MoBo RGB software or you can use 3rd party software, like SignalRGB.
I understand your point of view.
I already understand that it is impossible to control rgb with a button and a motherboard at the same time. Is there a chance, then, for the button (which has led backlighting in it) to light up according to the colors I set through the software?

At this point, the circuit of the fans looks as follows: The fans are connected to each other via 3-pin connectors, and then the last free connector is connected directly to the motherboard.

The controller is completely omitted - to make the button light up in line with the fans, should I connect it directly to the motherboard, or hook it up to the fan circuit?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is there a chance, then, for the button (which has led backlighting in it) to light up according to the colors I set through the software?
When you disconnect fans from PC case RGB controller and hook it to MoBo, you can control the fan RGB. But PC case RGB controller won't have any connection to the fans, so: No. PC case RGB controller has no way knowing what color the fans are.

And as far as i can tell, you can't control PC case RGB controller through software, to tell the RGB button on front I/O, which color it must be.

to make the button light up in line with the fans, should I connect it directly to the motherboard, or hook it up to the fan circuit?
Does the RGB button also have 3-pin ARGB connector that you could connect to MoBo? Since while PC case manual didn't say anything about it, but as far as i've seen such built-in RGB controllers, the RGB backlight of the button is usually hard-wired to the PC case RGB controller.

Oct 15, 2023
Does the RGB button also have 3-pin ARGB connector that you could connect to MoBo? Since while PC case manual didn't say anything about it, but as far as i've seen such built-in RGB controllers, the RGB backlight of the button is usually hard-wired to the PC case RGB controller.
Yes, button is hard-wired to the PC case RGB controller, but the output from the controller is 3 pins.

What happens then if I hook up the fans to the controller and then hook up the whole circuit to the motherboard. Will the controller or the software be responsible for the colors?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What happens then if I hook up the fans to the controller and then hook up the whole circuit to the motherboard. Will the controller or the software be responsible for the colors?
Most likely the software goes haywire. Or you could end up overlapping the control commands for ARGB LEDs, making quite interesting light shows. Since in this case, you'd have two control sources competing for supremacy (PC case RGB controller and MoBo RGB controller). I advise against it. Worst case scenario, you'll fry the LEDs in the fans.