Question Is it possible to upgrade a Dell Precision 3630 workstation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2023
Thank you for your time.

I recently acquired a completely fine, functional, and clean Dell Precision 3630 workstation for practically free. I have installed a fresh version of Windows 10, installed a few programs, and have noticed that this machine is extremely loud. I am wondering if it would be possible to potentially upgrade this machine to make it a bit quieter and a bit faster.

Here are the specs of the 3630:
Intel Xeon E-2136
DELL 0Y2K8N motherboard model
NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (GP104GL) [DELL]
DDR4-2666 / PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM 32gbs RAM
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional Workstation (x64) Build 19045.3570 (22H2)

Could I swap out the fans in the case for some that are silent? And would it be possible to upgrade the RAM to a faster speed?
I know prebuilt Dells can be weird with this kind of thing so I need some help.

-Rune

I would say check the BIOS to see what the fan curve is set at. Is it at full speed ?

If you do change fans I do know Dell likes to wire there fans in a non normal configuration. Same hook-up just wires are sometimes moved in the pin out.

I would leave memory alone at least for now Intel CPU's are less picky as far as memory speed. Get to know system first.

There seems to be 3 Dell power supplies that came with your model what is the watts/ model of yours.
80 plus gold certification300 W / 460 W (w/SD) and 850 W(w/SD)

I would get a RTX 2070 or RTX 3060Ti and start there if your current power supply is the 850w model.

Not a bad spec system for almost free. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Runel0rd
Oct 25, 2023
I will try to figure out the wattage of the PSU when I have a chance.
As for the fan/cooling solution? Do you have any suggestions? Could I buy a 3 pack of some cheaper fans and replace them with the loud OEM ones? I have built a few PC's before but have never swapped parts out in a prebuilt like a dell, I don't want to brick the computer if it means I have to deal with some fan noise.

I will also see if I can hop into the BIOS and investigate the fan curve

Thanks for such a speedy response.
I would say check the BIOS to see what the fan curve is set at. Is it at full speed ?

If you do change fans I do know Dell likes to wire there fans in a non normal configuration. Same hook-up just wires are sometimes moved in the pin out.

I would leave memory alone at least for now Intel CPU's are less picky as far as memory speed. Get to know system first.

There seems to be 3 Dell power supplies that came with your model what is the watts/ model of yours.
80 plus gold certification300 W / 460 W (w/SD) and 850 W(w/SD)

I would get a RTX 2070 or RTX 3060Ti and start there if your current power supply is the 850w model.

Not a bad spec system for almost free. ;)

If you want to see what can be done with your PC or for general proof of concept ideas head over to see what that modder site has to offer as far as how to guilds.

Status
Not open for further replies.