[SOLVED] Is it safe after Jan 2020 to use Win 7

Aug 18, 2019
I really don’t want to update to Windows 10. I have up to date virus software. Is it still safe if I use updated Firefox and antivirus software? If not can you please explain why not? I’m not versed in viruses and hacking so perhaps don’t understand exactly. Thank you!!!

Solution
Yeah the problem is it is my parents pc and they are not tech savvy at all. Based on what everyone wrote, I think they will have to buy a new computer with Windows 10. I can definitely see them clicking the wrong link etc. Thank you.
To a non-techie user, the visual differences between Win 7 and Win 10 are mostly invisible.
As long as their "applications" are in the same place and accessed the same way, most people would not notice.

You can almost certainly Upgrade their current system to Win 10, for free.
I say 'almost', because we don't know what that system is.
Windows 7 will not be updated.
But, if you have no problems now, you are unlikely to in the future.
Security updates are mostly done to the apps you use.
Windows defender/security essentials was recently tested as one of the best antivirus products.
https://www.techspot.com/news/81396-windows-defender-ranked-joint-best-antivirus-program.html
Defender is very good at spotting known viruses.
More sophisticated products attempt to catch "in the wild" viruses which have never surfaced before.
Such apps take more resources.

Most security issues enter via social engineering.
You click on a malicious email link for instance.

If you are prudent, you have little to worry about.

Above all, you need a form of EXTERNAL backup.
Not just for viruses/ransomware, but for things like fire or hardware failures.

Your main reason to have to move to 10 is for support of newer technology.

Aug 18, 2019
Yeah the problem is it is my parents pc and they are not tech savvy at all. Based on what everyone wrote, I think they will have to buy a new computer with Windows 10. I can definitely see them clicking the wrong link etc. Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
To a non-techie user, the visual differences between Win 7 and Win 10 are mostly invisible.
As long as their "applications" are in the same place and accessed the same way, most people would not notice.

You can almost certainly Upgrade their current system to Win 10, for free.
I say 'almost', because we don't know what that system is.

Reactions: velocityg4
Solution
Aug 18, 2019
Thanks good idea. I actually did that last night and had a crazy printer problem I posted in another thread (spent 4-5 hours on it lol). Long story short I can’t upgrade because then the printers don’t work and they need to print things daily. I guess I’ll discuss with them the security issues but for 2-300 dollars I think they should buy a new computer to avoid my having to fix it in the future when they inevitably have a security related issue :)

Thanks good idea. I actually did that last night and had a crazy printer problem I posted in another thread (spent 4-5 hours on it lol). Long story short I can’t upgrade because then the printers don’t work and they need to print things daily. I guess I’ll discuss with them the security issues but for 2-300 dollars I think they should buy a new computer to avoid my having to fix it in the future when they inevitably have a security related issue :)

If it had printer problems with Windows 10. A new computer will likely have the same problems with the same old printer. Assuming everything was setup properly.

A new printer would be a good idea. Plus you can get a decent Brother all-in-one for about $120.