Question Is it safe to create several partitions on an NVMe SSD ?

Feb 15, 2023
Hello there,
Excuse me, i have a plan to upgrade my existing SSD NVME to another which have larger capacity and i want to clean install OS to it. Is it safe to make several partitions on an NVMe SSD ? (for example partition C and D), And if it will have any impact, which part of the SSD will be impacted by this action ?

Thank you

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hello there,
Excuse me, i have a plan to upgrade my existing SSD NVME to another which have larger capacity and i want to clean install OS to it. Is it safe to make several partitions on an NVMe SSD ? (for example partition C and D), And if it will have any impact, which part of the SSD will be impacted by this action ?

Thank you
Partitioning drives was used when HDD were very expensive. C, D, etc. Haven't needed partitions for many, may years. The drive dies and all data is gone unless you did the right thing by backing it up. Stop thinking 1990's. :)

Reactions: retzul
Feb 15, 2023
It won't impact performance.

But there is also little need to do this partition thing.

What is the drive capacity?
What would these partitions be used for?
I'm sorry due my inactivity and the late reply

I have a plan to upgrade my SSD to Corsair MP600 with 2TB caps

The partition was divided between 2 scenario which is :
scenario 1 = C for OS + D for all my entire personal data (jobs file, games, and private datas)
scenario 2 = C for OS, D for games and private datas, E for job files

Thank you so much

Feb 15, 2023
Partitioning drives was used when HDD were very expensive. C, D, etc. Haven't needed partitions for many, may years. The drive dies and all data is gone unless you did the right thing by backing it up. Stop thinking 1990's. :)
Oh i'm sorry. i thought the SSD NVME was prohibited to partitioned as defragment which many people say it can damage the SSD perfomance and because of that reason, my current partition is just using single partition (C) and my entire data was there

Thank you so much

You could just create separate directories for games and job files. The one advantage of separate partitions would be that any file system damage, accidental formatting, etc, would be confined to the partition rather than affecting the entire drive.

Feb 20, 2023
Partitions is still the way to go. If it was a low capacity drive I would understand what others say by just doing folders.
But at 2 TB doing partitions is the wiser and advised choice. Partition away.

Feb 15, 2023
Why, here i can agree, a 2TB drive splitted in OS and Data is recomended, any OS damage will not affect work data and can be safely formated (the os partition) and install clean a new OS.
Unless there is a physical limititation to an SSD and technically should not be partitioned.
OK sir, maybe i can review my both plan and pick the best choice (based on the what i need). I would like to appreciate the any suggestion here, thank you :D

Feb 15, 2023
Partitions is still the way to go. If it was a low capacity drive I would understand what others say by just doing folders.
But at 2 TB doing partitions is the wiser and advised choice. Partition away.
Noted sir, nice additional info for me :D

Thank you so much

Reactions: NerdyVixen
Feb 15, 2023
Why do you recommend that?

I much prefer different physical drives.
I thnk using 2 SSD in one laptop is alternative, but it will need more cost especially the SSD NVME is still in high price. But thank you so much for the sharing.
I would link to appreciate any suggestion here :D

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I have 1 M.2 SSD with Windows11. Programes on a second M.2 SSD. Backups, docs, music, photography and videos on a SATA SSD. What partitions? Drives are getting affordable. Not like the prices and small capacity drives and RAM modules from 15-20 years ago. I remember paying $55.00 a meg for SCRAM which my Amiga 3000 required. Also, a 2TB WD black HDD inside a USB 3.x external case for unplugging the backups from people who do ugly things.