[SOLVED] Is it safe to plug a router into a router?

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
I recently came across and old CenturyLink router/DSL modem sorting through a pile of stuff. I want to play around with it but I'm afraid I'll mess something up if I plug it into my ISP router.

Solution
I recently came across and old CenturyLink router/DSL modem sorting through a pile of stuff. I want to play around with it but I'm afraid I'll mess something up if I plug it into my ISP router.
Could you mess up your network? Yes. Start by vconnecting to it with a wired connection with the router disconnected from everything. Make sure you can get into the GUI, configure it to a different subnet than your main network. Since you say this is a modem / router combo, you may have limited connectivity options. If there is an ethernet WAN port, thst is the safest way to connect. If you have to connect to a LAN port, you must disable the DHCP server to avoid messing up your network.

kanewolf

Titan
Could you mess up your network? Yes. Start by vconnecting to it with a wired connection with the router disconnected from everything. Make sure you can get into the GUI, configure it to a different subnet than your main network. Since you say this is a modem / router combo, you may have limited connectivity options. If there is an ethernet WAN port, thst is the safest way to connect. If you have to connect to a LAN port, you must disable the DHCP server to avoid messing up your network.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
the router is a CenturyLink C1900A not sure what you can do with that but yeah
Actually, that is useful. It allowed me to find that the C1900A has an ethernet WAN port. That is how I would recommend you connect it to your existing network. The default LAN address for the 1900A is 192.168.0.1 -- As long as your existing network is NOT 192.168.0.x then you should be able to just plug the WAN port to your existing LAN connections. If they are the same, then you have to boot the C1900A without being connected and change the LAN IP address to a different subnet -- THIRD digit. Change it to 192.168.99.1 or something that won't conflict.