Question Is it safe to plug and unplug ethernet cable to Laptop daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomDino

Honorable
Feb 5, 2017
I have just purchased a laptop and and an Internet service which comes with a cable, and I'd prefer using it since it's much faster and reliable than using Wifi Connection.
But since I am University I have to bring the laptop to school everyday, so my plan is when I'm at home I plug the cable into the laptop for use and unplug it when I go outside.
Will this habit eventually cause problems (if there is any)? Does it harm my laptop or the cable?

So long as you take some care in doing so, there shouldnt be any issues.
Ive known people to be far too aggressive when removing cables and end up breaking latches. but thats not normal wear and tear.

Well, out of curiosity I wanted to look this up. And at least two sources tell me industrial grade ethernet ports are rated for a minimum of 1000 mating cycles. ( [1] [2]) Another source tells me it depends on the pin material used, but higher quality materials do offer 500-1000 cycles ([3]).

Ultimately it depends on the expected number of mating cycles the connector will have. I'm under the impression for Ethernet on laptops, the manufacturer doesn't expect it to be used all that often so I wouldn't be surprised if it had a rated mating cycle in the hundreds. However note that this doesn't mean the port will become useless after that point, it'll start becoming unreliable (e.g., gotta wiggle the plug or something)

D

Deleted member 14196

Use wifi or usb Ethernet. You will destroy it after too many times. ESP laptop

It's much higher than 1000 cycles. I have personal laptops as old as 10 years that have been in constant daily use with ethernet cables inserted/removed multiple times per hour throughout the day as they are moved from rack to rack and building to building and office to home and back. 10's of thousands of insert/remove cycles and not a single port failure in all that time. You'll replace your laptop long before the port fails mechanically.

USAFRet

Titan
It's much higher than 1000 cycles. I have personal laptops as old as 10 years that have been in constant daily use with ethernet cables inserted/removed multiple times per hour throughout the day as they are moved from rack to rack and building to building and office to home and back. 10's of thousands of insert/remove cycles and not a single port failure in all that time. You'll replace your laptop long before the port fails mechanically.
Oh yeah...I just used that as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.