[SOLVED] is it safe to use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Flüssigmetall-Wärmeleitpaste on hyper 212x?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
hi, my cpu cooler - hyper 212x , my cpu - i5 4670k, i want to use "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Flüssigmetall-Wärmeleitpaste " liquid metal thermal compund between my cpu and cpu cooler heatsink, is it safe? is there any aluminum in that portion of heatsink which directly contact cpu and where we put thermal compund? also is there any aluminum on Cpu lid which directly contacts heatsink?
ChLu2qf.png

Solution
The 212 has a copper + aluminum base, which liquid metals most commonly react with aluminum and can react sometimes to copper or copper plating (heatpipes are usually copper, not necessarily plated).

However, liquid metal stains just about everything it contacts, so be aware. Also, it is electrically conductive, so make certain it stays where you put it.

Liquid metal is used primarily for delidding, but any quality paste can be used. The idea being that you are removing the junk Intel compound and providing a better thermal medium to be used....any good compound should do, even much cheaper options. Liquid metals 'could' be used between the IHS and CPU, but again, be advised it does like to react with some metals.

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
So, you spent nearly as much on the liquid metal as you did the cooler?

Why not just get a better cooler and some cheaper paste? Or use what comes with the cooler?
well that cooler is 4 years old but working fine, so was thinking about delidding my 4 year old cpu cause it's the only cheap performance boost for me option . so bought the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Flüssigmetall-Wärmeleitpaste for using in delidding. but wondering if i can use it as thermal compound between cpu IHS and heatsink of cpu cooler too.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Even without liquid metal, a delidding and top tiered paste should net a pretty good drop in temps if that was/is indeed an issue. Haswell definitely is a good candidate for it.

Try paste first and see what you get. Then maybe later a better suited cooler that can handle liquid metal might be something you want to try.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The 212 has a copper + aluminum base, which liquid metals most commonly react with aluminum and can react sometimes to copper or copper plating (heatpipes are usually copper, not necessarily plated).

However, liquid metal stains just about everything it contacts, so be aware. Also, it is electrically conductive, so make certain it stays where you put it.

Liquid metal is used primarily for delidding, but any quality paste can be used. The idea being that you are removing the junk Intel compound and providing a better thermal medium to be used....any good compound should do, even much cheaper options. Liquid metals 'could' be used between the IHS and CPU, but again, be advised it does like to react with some metals.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Even without liquid metal, a delidding and top tiered paste should net a pretty good drop in temps if that was/is indeed an issue. Haswell definitely is a good candidate for it.

Try paste first and see what you get. Then maybe later a better suited cooler that can handle liquid metal might be something you want to try.

thx, just making sure, so that liquid metal is complete no no for hyper 212x right? then i will only use that liquid metal for delidding, and gonna reapply same old cooler master thermal paste which came with the cooler and gonna save that excess liquid metal for future.