[SOLVED] Is it worth $400 to buy an IPS panel over a VA one?

g-unit1111

Titan
I'm looking to buy a new monitor relatively soon but the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if I will get the extra mileage forking over the $400 difference to buy an LG panel vs a Gigabyte or MSI one. Don't get me wrong, I want to make sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck but I do want to check and make sure that there's other, more affordable options for my 3080. I really want an Ultrawide display. I'm looking for at least a 34" 3440 x 1440 monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate minimum. I'd like it to support G-Sync, but not if it costs an arm and a leg.

Here's the LG I am considering getting: https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-Inch-Ultragear-Compatibility/dp/B08DWD38VX/

And some less expensive options from others:

Both the Gigabyte and MSI monitors, the price is definitely right.

Solution
So it's basically worth it to get the LG then?
I'll provide my opinion at least.

Between IPS vs VA, I can't make a good judgment call on that because I haven't seen a higher end (or maybe a mid-range) VA panel in action. But from what I do know, VA vs IPS is basically down to preference at this point. IPS glow doesn't bother me, if I even notice it, because it's only really a problem in low ambient light, dark image conditions and I'm not a vampire so one of those conditions isn't met most of the time. This is why I'm interested in VA: the higher contrast ratio is something I kinda do appreciate, especially after playing games on my TV and phone with OLED screens.

As for the monitors you chose, I dropped the MSI one, but here...
So I guess is it a question of quality with VA panels? Or something else? What should I look for in getting a monitor?
Probably quality. My friend has a Samsung Galaxy C7 which is a VA panel and the only thing he reported was a flickering issue but I think he resolved it. I had a look at one but it was playing a demo video and there was no access to the system it was connected to. But for what it displayed, it looked fine to me. I would see if tftcentral.co.uk or rtings.com has a review on the monitors you're looking at since they're comprehensive.

As for whether or not an IPS panel is better over a VA one, if we were to isolate common features, VA does have the advantage of a lower black level and no "IPS glow", but this comes at the cost of reduced viewing angles and slower response times.

So it's basically worth it to get the LG then?
I'll provide my opinion at least.

Between IPS vs VA, I can't make a good judgment call on that because I haven't seen a higher end (or maybe a mid-range) VA panel in action. But from what I do know, VA vs IPS is basically down to preference at this point. IPS glow doesn't bother me, if I even notice it, because it's only really a problem in low ambient light, dark image conditions and I'm not a vampire so one of those conditions isn't met most of the time. This is why I'm interested in VA: the higher contrast ratio is something I kinda do appreciate, especially after playing games on my TV and phone with OLED screens.

As for the monitors you chose, I dropped the MSI one, but here are reviews for the other two you were looking at:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/g34wqc

The only notable differences to me are:
  • The LG monitor has middling contrast ratio
  • The Gigabyte monitor has slightly higher brightness
  • The Gigabyte monitor has worse viewing angles
  • The LG monitor has better HDR color coverage
  • Response time on the Gigabyte monitor is noticeably worse
  • The Gigabyte monitor has black frame insertion for reduced motion blur
If I wanted to save a bit of money, I'd go with the Gigabyte monitor. Its worse response time likely wouldn't bother me though do see if a video exists of it as I have played around with 120Hz monitors with response times so slow that it effectively didn't make a difference.

Reactions: g-unit1111
Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
If I wanted to save a bit of money, I'd go with the Gigabyte monitor. Its worse response time likely wouldn't bother me though do see if a video exists of it as I have played around with 120Hz monitors with response times so slow that it effectively didn't make a difference.

OK that's good to know, I think I might go with the Gigabyte monitor. I really want the LG but it seems like close to $900 is a hard pill to swallow. I want something that will be a good fit and allow me to get the most out of my 3080. If I have to pay more then I guess so be it. But it is good to know that lower cost alternatives exist out there.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
OK that's good to know, I think I might go with the Gigabyte monitor. I really want the LG but it seems like close to $900 is a hard pill to swallow. I want something that will be a good fit and allow me to get the most out of my 3080. If I have to pay more then I guess so be it. But it is good to know that lower cost alternatives exist out there.
Honestly if it was that much, it better come with an actual G-Sync module. :p

g-unit1111

Titan
What exactly do you intend to use the monitor for? Gaming? Work? Are you looking for something that is on par with your GPU? and without high-contrast?

Well a combination of everything. I don't really do work on my gaming desktop but if i need it, I would like to have that option. I do connect my laptop to this monitor if I need a bigger screen.

I'd like something that would be on par with my 3080, but if I have to pay more than $800 for it, that's a bit out of my price range. I'd like to keep the budget between $500 - $700. I do have some Amazon gift cards at my disposal to lighten the load, if needed.

larsv8

Distinguished
I think its dangerous to stereotype VA vs IPS.

Colors are supposed to be more vibrant on IPS and better viewing angles, but I never found the later as valuable. I mean I always sit in front of my monitor, not too the side.

The guy I trust is here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu0vpIe-dZA

He is going to give you the detailed pros and cons of that model and how it compares to others. He REALLY knows his stuff on the benchmarks, and its helpful to see it side by side with other products, You really have to decide what is important to you, as there is no such thing as "best" when it comes to monitors. There are so many benchmarks inherent to a display, there is really no best, only tradeoffs. That said, this panel is rated highly in a lot of areas but shows up below average on contrast ratio.

For what it is worth, I splurged on what I thought would be the ultimate monitor and I have no regrets. I say go for it!

Reactions: g-unit1111

g-unit1111

Titan
Now this is interesting, I stumbled upon this comparison between the LG 34GP83A vs the Gigabyte 34wqc:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tool...-g34wqc/13261/17023?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

And browsing Youtube I found way more positive reviews of the Gigabyte than the LG. But the most interesting thing I found out from this review was they didn't like the way the ports were setup on the LG, and that it runs off a power brick. I like the Gigabyte better because the PSU is integrated and uses a standard cord instead of a brick. The review also said that the Gigabyte had the better build quality - which is insteresting considering the Gigabyte is $400 less. I think I might go for the Gigabyte instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotaru.hino

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
I'm looking to buy a new monitor relatively soon but the more I think about it the more I'm wondering if I will get the extra mileage forking over the $400 difference to buy an LG panel vs a Gigabyte or MSI one. Don't get me wrong, I want to make sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck but I do want to check and make sure that there's other, more affordable options for my 3080. I really want an Ultrawide display. I'm looking for at least a 34" 3440 x 1440 monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate minimum. I'd like it to support G-Sync, but not if it costs an arm and a leg.

Here's the LG I am considering getting: https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP83A-B-Inch-Ultragear-Compatibility/dp/B08DWD38VX/

And some less expensive options from others:

Both the Gigabyte and MSI monitors, the price is definitely right.
Do you know if the specifications for each monitor are ideal for whatever use you have for it?