[SOLVED] Is it worth buying a 2017/2018 psu in 2022 ?

May 22, 2022
Hello everyone,

I want to replace my 7 years old psu, and I was thinking about buying a Seasonic one , looking at the release year it is somewhere from 2017/2018 , being that capacitators degrade over time (even if psu is sealed in box and unused) is it worth buying a psu from former years? or is the degrade very minimal ? I tend to use the next psu I am going to buy for another 7 years

Solution
Any product can fail.
It is best if it fails immediately instead of having issues later on while in service.
There are lists of estimated psu quality, but opinions differ.
In the absence of more information, the best I can suggest is that you look for a psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic focus and corsair rm are good places to start.
May 22, 2022
Referring to the year you could find and buy one , example :
Seasonic FOCUS PLUS 750W Gold Modular (SSR-750FX) I can see review from oct 20 2017, and on a site in my country i an see how the price fluctuated since 2017 , that is why i'm saying from 2017

Above is a link to comparison page at Seasonic.

I think the one one the left is the one you refer to: Focus Plus Gold series. It's "discontinued", whatever that may mean.

The one on the right is apparently the current Focus model, the GX.

I don't see any difference in the list of specs.

Could be nothing more than a name change to attract those prone to wanting a new shiny object.

Or could be something signifcant under the hood beyond what is shown on the spec sheet.

I suppose you might need to look for a detailed review of the GX models.

Generally...I wouldn't have any personal qualms about the older model unless I had good reason to believe the date of manufacture of my particular boxed item was several years ago.

The newly upgraded FOCUS PX and GX series are the successors to the FOCUS PLUS Series, which became an instant top seller in the power supply market after its launch in 2017. In 2019, Seasonic engineers have made improvements to the popular series such as removing the inline capacitors on the supplied cables. Besides the small change in the series naming, the PSU housing and its packaging are also updated to be in line with the concept of the OneSeasonic Initiative. (Learn More about OneSeasonic Initiative)

https://seasonic.com/oneseasonic

Look over the above link.

Why do you want to replace your 7 year old psu?
Are you having problems?
Do you anticipate an immediate need for more power?

Given a choice I would buy the more current product if you need one now.
They will include minor fixes and updates.

Good you are looking at a quality product.
The GX units will have a 10 year warranty.

May 22, 2022
@Lafong thank you so much for the info provided :D very informative link

@geofelt I want to replace it because I consider it old by now , and also I did have electrical downs in the flat I live, went through very hot summers , i did try to clean the dust as often as possible, but I consider its time to change it.

Hope will have good luck with the psu, im quite scared because if I look on amazon on comments for any psu from brands like: seasonic corsair evga I always see ppl receiving dead psu or dying after only a few months :S:S:S:S

im quite scared because if I look on amazon on comments for any psu from brands like: seasonic corsair evga I always see ppl receiving dead psu or dying after only a few months :S:S:S:S

No way out of that. Those are all anecdotes. Most may be valid, but not representative of all purchasers. The satisfied don't comment as much. But it's true...PSUs aren't as reliable as you'd hope and you may have a horrid experience.

Any product can fail.
It is best if it fails immediately instead of having issues later on while in service.
There are lists of estimated psu quality, but opinions differ.
In the absence of more information, the best I can suggest is that you look for a psu with a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Seasonic focus and corsair rm are good places to start.

Solution