[SOLVED] Is it worth buying SSD for my PC

johanzy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
Hey,
As the title says I'm wondering if I should buy SSD (more specifically 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2) for my PC which has ASUS H110M-A/M.2 motherboard. Can you guys tell me if my motherboard even supports it and if it does is it optimal to use it or I should buy another one? I also don't have any type of SSD on my PC so this is my first time buying one.

Solution
I would definitely get an SSD but for you I would not get the NVME drive unless you were planning an upgrade soon. Your motherboard's M2 slot only uses Pcie2 lanes instead of Pcie3 limiting its max speed to roughly half. Plus 970Evo'soften need a bios update to work properly; Asus is typically pretty good with those updates fortunately.

BestBuy has the Wd Blue 3d 1Tb (Sata) on sale today for $99 if you're interested.

Help needed101

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
Hey,
As the title says I'm wondering if I should buy SSD (more specifically 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2) for my PC which has ASUS H110M-A/M.2 motherboard. Can you guys tell me if my motherboard even supports it and if it does is it optimal to use it or I should buy another one? I also don't have any type of SSD on my PC so this is my first time buying one.

Well as of today’s age if you are using a pc for gaming or streaming/editing an SSD is needed. An SSD is like a HDD but faster and more efficient. And any type of ssd is good especially an NVMe M.2 SSD and evening if it’s by Samsung it’s worth it. And as long as your motherboard has an M.2 Slot on it, it will support any M.2 SSD. As in the name of your motherboard i’m pretty sure it has a slot and this would be perfect, if in any case it doesn’t then just get a normal SSD that isn’t an M.2 SSD and you will have a completely different computer experience

Reactions: johanzy
Your MB supports it.>>>>>>>>

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)

As far as I know it is a decent drive....and as far as I know Samsung makes good SSDs....I recently bought a SATA style Samsung SSD.

....and if you don't have one...it will really speed up your system.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
SSD is a good addition to any functioning and modern machine. Even a 'slow' one by SSD standards is well faster than a HDD. I still like HDD for bulks storage with high write/re cycles where speed isn't an issue, otherwise I also use SSD or NVME for all OS and fast access storage.

popatim

Titan
I would definitely get an SSD but for you I would not get the NVME drive unless you were planning an upgrade soon. Your motherboard's M2 slot only uses Pcie2 lanes instead of Pcie3 limiting its max speed to roughly half. Plus 970Evo'soften need a bios update to work properly; Asus is typically pretty good with those updates fortunately.

BestBuy has the Wd Blue 3d 1Tb (Sata) on sale today for $99 if you're interested.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
From my prescriptive it just decreases game load time, app load time boot etc..
With an SSD as the OS and application drive, everything is faster. The whole system.
Plus, less vibration, noise, heat...

I wouldn't have a system without one.
OK...I DO have a system without an SSD...a 12 year old low end Toshiba laptop, strictly used for testing.

I will never again build without a ssd at least for windows.
It makes everything you do quicker.
You will not regret it.
Your motherboard will support the 970 evo plus.
If it is sufficiently large, use the samsung ssd migration app to move your windows C drive to it.
Here is a link to the manual and app: