Discussion Is it worth buying used GPU

atinesh.s

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
Hello guys I am thinking to upgrade my GPU but not planning to spend lot of money. I thought what if I get a descent used gpu which helps me for a while. But I have seen that sometimes people gets scammed. So how can I buy used gpu without wasting my money.

Buying a used GPU can be a great way to get a good deal, or you can get burned badly.

• First, knock out too good to be true deals. If the item seems too cheap compared to other similar cards, don't waste your time or money.
  • Also, try to either see the card in person first or buy from a website with buyer protection (like ebay) in case something is wrong.
  • Also, on ebay there are many scam GPUs from china. Most look like this.
I bought a used RX480 8gb Sapphire nitro+ on eBay for $89 which was a very good deal, but didn't seem to be too good to be true.
It shipped with a faulty vbios which I was able to fix, but eBay would have refunded me if I couldn't.

Also, shipping can be costly for big GPUs, so sometimes the best deals are local.

Reactions: atinesh.s

atinesh.s

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
Buying a used GPU can be a great way to get a good deal, or you can get burned badly.

• First, knock out too good to be true deals. If the item seems too cheap compared to other similar cards, don't waste your time or money.
  • Also, try to either see the card in person first or buy from a website with buyer protection (like ebay) in case something is wrong.
  • Also, on ebay there are many scam GPUs from china. Most look like this.
I bought a used RX480 8gb Sapphire nitro+ on eBay for $89 which was a very good deal, but didn't seem to be too good to be true.
It shipped with a faulty vbios which I was able to fix, but eBay would have refunded me if I couldn't.

Also, shipping can be costly for big GPUs, so sometimes the best deals are local.
Thanks for the suggestions, Its difficult for me to go check gpu locally in person. I was thinking about getting it from ebay.

If you get it from eBay,

• Look for listings that aren't too good to be true.
  • Once you get the GPU, run GPUz to ensure the card checks out and there is no "FAKE" warning.
  • Also run games and make sure the cards performs well and doesnt overheat HWmontitor can see temps.

lynx1021

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
Also be sure to buy a "name brand" GPU on Ebay because the no-name ones are usually fake, I bought 3-XFX brand RX460's when I found out they would work on legacy bios boards. 1 for my brother and two for my 2 PC's
All work grate an check good.

atinesh.s

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
If you get it from eBay,

• Look for listings that aren't too good to be true.
  • Once you get the GPU, run GPUz to ensure the card checks out and there is no "FAKE" warning.
  • Also run games and make sure the cards performs well and doesnt overheat HWmontitor can see temps.
Ok I’ll keep these things in my mind

atinesh.s

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
Paypal gives you buyers-protection for 30 days. My new rig contains a used b450-i strix, used R7 3700x, used RTX 2080. Got no issues but bought from local-ebay as private purchases. I saved round about 300 euro
Great, I am looking for GPU with 8gb VRAM is GTX 1070 would be ok for my PC

atinesh.s

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
Yes I think that will pair quite nicely. But your powersupply is a bit lacking with 450w. Will most likely work, but at least before a cpu upgrade I would upgrade the psu as well.
I am upgrading GPU not for gaming, I am doing it for deep learning research. If the upgrade doesn’t blows up my computer I am ok ;). I will be upgrading properly in couple of months everything RAM, PSU, GPU, CPU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS