[SOLVED] is it worth it to buying a a 3070 with an i5-9400f?

Sep 12, 2020
hey guys so I'm thinking about buying a pc with these specs:
i5-9400f
gtx 1660 super
16gb 2666 ram
b365m
The problem is that I have a GTX 980 running. The question is: should I use the 980 until the rtx 3070 comes, for example,or should I wait a little and go for the 1660 super.or if I will go with the 3070 wil there not be a bottleneck or do anything?
I can wait for a month or two.

Solution
The independent reviews for the new RTX 3xxx should be available soon.

Even if the RTX 3070 is far behind the RTX 3080 review, reading and watching the RTX 3080 reviews you will be able to see if nvidia claims (numbers, performance, and all that) are close to reality or if they are all simple marketing <Mod Edit>.

Reviewers would also try this new GPUs with diferent CPUs, and see how much clocks, cores, architecture and bandwidth connection (pcie 3.0 vs 4.0) impact/limit the GPU performance.

In short my answer is if you can wait on the GPU, then wait. Keep the GTX 980 and then read and watch as many reviews as you can. TomsHardware, Guru3D, Anandtech, Gamer Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, LinusTechTips, TechDeals they all made...
The independent reviews for the new RTX 3xxx should be available soon.

Even if the RTX 3070 is far behind the RTX 3080 review, reading and watching the RTX 3080 reviews you will be able to see if nvidia claims (numbers, performance, and all that) are close to reality or if they are all simple marketing <Mod Edit>.

Reviewers would also try this new GPUs with diferent CPUs, and see how much clocks, cores, architecture and bandwidth connection (pcie 3.0 vs 4.0) impact/limit the GPU performance.

In short my answer is if you can wait on the GPU, then wait. Keep the GTX 980 and then read and watch as many reviews as you can. TomsHardware, Guru3D, Anandtech, Gamer Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, LinusTechTips, TechDeals they all made awesome reviews.

Inform yourself and don't rush to the buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The 3070 is leagues above the 1660 super. not even the same universe.

And for gaming, your cpu will not bottleneck it.
Well bottleneck being it won't dish out the max frame rate the 3070 can dish out. If you had a 9700k you would be getting 30fps more in same situations in AAA maps or even more then that. So will it play good? Yes it will but will it shine? No it won't not on that budget CPU my friend. ✝☮👶🤷‍♀️

Well bottleneck being it won't dish out the max frame rate the 3070 can dish out. If you had a 9700k you would be getting 30fps more in same situations in AAA maps or even more then that. So will it play good? Yes it will but will it shine? No it won't not on that budget CPU my friend. ✝☮👶🤷‍♀️
That really depends on the game, resolution, and settings.
Throwing random numbers like that do no justice.

In more cpu bound games, games that have more simulation type ordeals, like csgo, starcraft (not that its a heavy game...) anno, or even minecraft, you might see a difference between cpus, at 1080p, and a smaller change in 1440p, but 0 difference in 4k with the same gpu, not matter the cpu.

In more gpu bound games, say, most modern triple AAA games, the cpu matters a lot less, and the difference is 90% based on gpu.
Go check any cpu review. in gaming, the results just have no difference, not major ones, atleast not with modern, 4-6 core and up cpus.

Yes, in 1080p, in a modern game at high details, you might see a 10-30 fps reduction, but, in 1080p medium details, or 1440p/4k whatever details, you will see no difference at all.

And if OP has a 1080p monitor and gets an rtx 3070, he's doing this wrong.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
That really depends on the game, resolution, and settings.
Throwing random numbers like that do no justice.

In more cpu bound games, games that have more simulation type ordeals, like csgo, starcraft (not that its a heavy game...) anno, or even minecraft, you might see a difference between cpus, at 1080p, and a smaller change in 1440p, but 0 difference in 4k with the same gpu, not matter the cpu.

In more gpu bound games, say, most modern triple AAA games, the cpu matters a lot less, and the difference is 90% based on gpu.
Go check any cpu review. in gaming, the results just have no difference, not major ones, atleast not with modern, 4-6 core and up cpus.

Yes, in 1080p, in a modern game at high details, you might see a 10-30 fps reduction, but, in 1080p medium details, or 1440p/4k whatever details, you will see no difference at all.

And if OP has a 1080p monitor and gets an rtx 3070, he's doing this wrong.
Actually you know what my friend does that CPU overclock at all or come OCed out of the box. What is the frequency on that thing? I mean look it won't bottleneck but also it won't allow for max frame rates a 3070 can deliver which is essentially a 2080Ti almost. ✝☮👶If you told people you were getting a 2080Ti back in the day they would say make sure to grab the 9900k or 9700k or 8700k or a 2700x. This is two years later and if that 9400 is a low clocked CPU then it will give you a good gaming experience but you will miss out a bit. This is not a problem as in the future when you upgade your CPU then you will get even more FPS and what not. ☮✝🤷‍♀️💯

Actually you know what my friend does that CPU overclock at all or come OCed out of the box. What is the frequency on that thing? I mean look it won't bottleneck but also it won't allow for max frame rates a 3070 can deliver which is essentially a 2080Ti almost. ✝☮👶If you told people you were getting a 2080Ti back in the day they would say make sure to grab the 9900k or 9700k or 8700k or a 2700x. This is two years later and if that 9400 is a low clocked CPU then it will give you a good gaming experience but you will miss out a bit. This is not a problem as in the future when you upgade your CPU then you will get even more FPS and what not. ☮✝🤷‍♀️💯
Go check reviews of the 9400F please.

You'll see, that 1080p results will vary, while 1440p and 4k results are exactly the same.

No cpu is "OC out of the box". that is a thing some gpus have.
And the i5 9400F cannot be overclocked anyway.

Only K series intel chips on Z series boards can, and all AMD chips on B or X chipsets.

The 9400F is a very decent cpu.