gtx 560 925mhz factory OC
2x4GB corsair vengeance 1600mhz
600w psu
5400rpm hdd

So my question is, how big of an upgrade are these:

From Intel Pentium dual core e6500 @ 2.9ghz TO intel core 2 quad
From 5400rpm hdd to 7200rpm hdd OR
From 5400rpm hdd to SSD

I mean, if i could leave my 5400rpm hdd for storage and buy an ssd for windows + games, would it be a big upgrade?
Also, what about the processor, is it worth the upgrade ? Is it a big upgrade.
Atm i can play bf3 at 20-40fps and i have rendering issues, so i read that my hdd and cpu might be bottlenecking it.
Will this c2q and an ssd/7200rpm hdd help ?

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

so, should i buy the c2q ? Is it a huge upgrade from pentium dual core ?
Or should i go with the i5 and 1155 mb. (im on a limited budget)

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Is it a huge upgrade from pentium dual core ?

Yes, especailly when OCd. Mind that I am thinking of what your CPU will do in ALL apps not just games vs the Quad.

Or should i go with the i5 and 1155 mb. (im on a limited budget)

There-in is the question. :??:

The SB CPUs are really great performers but you would need to define your exact use for that platform, which I have as my primary PC. (OC'd to 4.5 GHz.) I am very happy with my SB platform.

If you do not intend to OC then a less expensive solution would work well for you. However if you intend to OC the SB then you are stuck with needing good components to go along with , say, a 2500k. Thus more cost.

Most peoples budgets determine the route they eventually take. AMD has some great lower cost solutions as well as Intel.

You will have to weigh the cost vs performence you are willing to live with and everyone has different needs that only you can determine for yourself.

Try picking out some components that you think might be in your budget and post them here. My self and others hopefully can stear you to a satisfactory PC. :sol:

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Well, i really cant affrod a new mobo + i5...
I use my pc for:
gaming (dota2, diablo3, bf3, lol, gw2)
photoshop
msn/web browsing
video editing

Typical teenage stuff :D
So basically, how big of an upgrade are these:

http://faun.ee/cpuc2q-250013334m-s775-bxq8300-bx80580q8300-s-lgur - CPU
http://arvutikeskus.ee/est/TOOTEKATALOOG/ARVUTIKOMPONENDID-Kovakettad-HDD-SSD94/CORSAIR-FORCE-3-60GB-25-SATA3-SSD-CSSD-F60GB3A-BK-133621 - SSD

Also, on the offtopic:
My whole computer just froze and a lot of artifacts appeared on my screen, when i moved my mouse it lagged a lot and i had to press the restart switch.
What was that all about ? My gtx560 is pretty new (7 months)

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Okay. I would just forget about the SSD and apply those funds toward a better CPU. The one you picked has only 4Mb of L2 cach, they came with 6 and 12 Mb as well.

As for the artifacting, #1 would be heat build up in your case. Need to pull off the side and use a can of compressed air to clean out the heat sinks etc.

#2 would be trying to play a game at too high a resolution or settings.

#3 would indicate a failing OC either CPU or GPU.

At least that is what I would guess with the info given. ;)

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Well i bought the new case today with good cooling, the temperature is only 50C at playing games and the artifact things has never happened and it happened when i opened chrome...
So what 775 socket cpu do u suggest ? + i need an ssd or smth cause i only have 5400rpm hdd

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

I guess your CPU could be bottle-necting Chrome with the 560 you have. Does it do it if you play any games since you have the new case?

A SSD will not help with game playing other than faster load times.

A 7200 RPM HDD will have higher I/O than 5400 HDD.

I looked around the web-site you posted for that 8300 and it looks like that is the only one they offer. Is there any other place you can buy CPUs new or used?

The 775 platform is getting hard to find better components for now thus may have to settle for a used CPU. :(

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Well, the artifact thing has never happened to me before, not even on playing bf3.
My computer has TOTALLY crashed for playing it tho. Also, at the moment i have 2x2gb of ram that has an error on it (i found an error after 17 minutes of running memtest). But i already have ordered corsair vengeance 2x4gb and it should arrive on monday.
Anyways, about the ssd: i had an another thread saying about slow detail/ground clutter rendering in bf3 and they said that 5400rpm hdd is bottlenecking.

Since i live in estonia, yes, theres a narrow variety of stuff you can buy (if its not on http://hinnavaatlus.ee or http://arvutikeskus.ee) then you cant buy it in estonia :D

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
Also, at the moment i have 2x2gb of ram that has an error on it (i found an error after 17 minutes of running memtest). But i already have ordered corsair vengeance 2x4gb and it should arrive on monday.

Good trouble-shooting. Sounds like you have found the problem yourself. :D

Anyways, about the ssd: i had an another thread saying about slow detail/ground clutter rendering in bf3 and they said that 5400rpm hdd is bottlenecking.

I am not familair with that game but a SSD is pretty expensive comparaed to a 7200 RPM HDD.

Since i live in estonia, yes, theres a narrow variety of stuff you can buy (if its not on http://hinnavaatlus.ee or http://arvutikeskus.ee) then you cant buy it in estonia :D

Bummer. :( I guess you would just be stuck with that q8300 then. You do know it runs at 2.5GHz and if that game does not take advantage of multiple core CPU you may actually see a decline in performence. However, if your M/BD allows it could be OC'd.

Check this LINK out for what you could expect under the right conditions.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

If that was my PC and that is what I found out about my memory I would certainly replace it first, thou heat or a defective graphics card is more likely.

I would expect to have other problems as well with bad memory.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
my gpu is 7 months old, should i just tell them i want a replace ?

Well if you get an RMA for it then you know its good. Just tell them its artifacting all the time.

By the way, is this worth the upgrade then:

If you just can not swing getting the 2320 then it is your only upgrade path. I would also OC it, which would mean a better cooler for it.

Just so you know, if you decided on the 2320 you would not be able to use the ram you have in that 775 platform. The ram for SB has to have a operating voltage of no more than 1.65V - 1.50V. But this CPU would eat yous up alive even upgraded to 8300. :whistle:

cheti

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

wait wait wait... if i go with the 2320 then i cant use my newly bought corsair vengeance 2x4gb ? it is 1.5, isnt it..

i2Perfect

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
By all means, if you have the cash, go Intel QUAD core.

I would suggest getting the SSD and installing Windows on it and any frequently used demanding programs for a speedy loading time :sol:

Keep your 5400RPM and just save your money. You will be happy when you save it for a future upgrade that you needed more.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Check the specs on it to see what the recommended operating voltage is. I was referring to the ram in your 775 platform. :hello:

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002

Most of the 775 platforms had ram that used 1.9-2.1 operating voltages as the 1.5V ram wasn't available at that time. (2008)

Apparently you have nothing to worry about with both the ram you ordered and the ram you have. :sol: