[SOLVED] Is it worth swapping out my new but crappy PSU for a much older, but better model?

Mar 4, 2021
I've currently got an EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, which I have on good authority is still a really good quality PSU even 5 years after I bought it. However, it has been used for those 5 years pretty heavily, and now I'm ordering a pre-built with a brand new PSU as standard. This new PSU is a Corsair CV 550W 80+ Bronze, so nowhere near the same quality of PSU, but 5 years younger and properly set up cable-management wise upon receiving the build.

My question is - would it be worth taking that new PSU out of the build, because my old one is still that much better that the system would be in better hands with it over the newer one?

(550W is enough for all the components in the new PC, so no issues there for either of them, and while the new one is not modular and the old one is, I have all the right connectors to use the old one if needs be)

Solution
As Juular says, the CV is not a crappy power supply. It's a good power supply that's intended for entry-level PCs. It does the job more than competently, has all the safeties, etc. When a builder cheaps out and throws one in a gaming build with a solid discrete GPU, that's a crappy builder, not a crappy power supply.
"For a power supply that has dipped as low as $40 before, the Corsair CV550 550W is certainly very wallet-friendly. But whether it is good is a question that needs to be answered very carefully. Will it outperform the company's higher end offerings? Certainly not, and no one expects it to. Will it do the job for those who are on a very limited budget and not a lot of demands? Sure. Its performance meets a very basic...
Mar 4, 2021
Unless the psu got any problem, i see no reason to change it with a new one.
Well, the new PC I'm buying is a pre-built, so the new one will already be installed and set up with all the other new components. Do you mean there's no reason to change that for the old one?

Mar 4, 2021
Throw that CV in the garbage and install the G2. Even at 5yrs it is still a better unit.
But be aware, if this is a branded prebuilt, you might loose warranty.
Haha - simple answer, I appreciate it!
Yeah, I'll need to investigate that, but I'd consider it worth it if the CV is gonna be a liability for me. It's a 3060/Ryzen 5 5600X build, so I'd very much like to give those parts as long of a life as they can manage.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Corsair CV is not a crappy PSU, it's obviously not on the same level performance and even perhaps reliability wise, but it's not a garbage.
What are specs of the rest of this prebuilt ? If the GPU is like GTX1660 Ti i'd say it's still fine. But if you're not afraid of losing the warranty on the prebuilt by replacing the PSU then yeah, why not i guess.

Reactions: Thomb00
Mar 4, 2021
Corsair CV is not a crappy PSU, it's obviously not on the same level performance and even perhaps reliability wise, but it's not a garbage.
What are specs of the rest of this prebuilt ? If the GPU is like GTX1660 Ti i'd say it's still fine. But if you're not afraid of losing the warranty on the prebuilt by replacing the PSU then yeah, why not i guess.
It's a 3060 and a 5600X, with 16gb of 3200mhz RAM and a 1Tb NVMe, so I'm pretty invested in making sure it doesn't choke or burnout xD

Mar 4, 2021
Or else, you could keep the CV550 for a backup supply, if anything goes wrong, chug in cv and go brrr.

Im currently also using CV550 and still ok for a light set. 215V input voltage for psu, also my rig only takes 135w at fullest load.
I fully expect to keep the CV as a backup for my old system, definitely.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As Juular says, the CV is not a crappy power supply. It's a good power supply that's intended for entry-level PCs. It does the job more than competently, has all the safeties, etc. When a builder cheaps out and throws one in a gaming build with a solid discrete GPU, that's a crappy builder, not a crappy power supply.

Mar 4, 2021
The price I've paid for the build, there had to be some sort of cheaping out - glad I've got the replacement to use, and even if it voids the warranty it'll be worth it for the longevity of the build.

"For a power supply that has dipped as low as $40 before, the Corsair CV550 550W is certainly very wallet-friendly. But whether it is good is a question that needs to be answered very carefully. Will it outperform the company's higher end offerings? Certainly not, and no one expects it to. Will it do the job for those who are on a very limited budget and not a lot of demands? Sure. Its performance meets a very basic standard. There is nothing fancy about the CV550; its platform and component selection is what you could expect for the price. The good news is it will not blow up your house like some no-name PSU from a shady source. At the end of the day, the Corsair CV550 550W is an ultra-budget power supply with absolutely no frills backed by a 3-year warranty. "
https://aphnetworks.com/reports/corsair-cv550-550w/4

That pretty much sums it up.

Reactions: Thomb00
Solution
Mar 4, 2021
"For a power supply that has dipped as low as $40 before, the Corsair CV550 550W is certainly very wallet-friendly. But whether it is good is a question that needs to be answered very carefully. Will it outperform the company's higher end offerings? Certainly not, and no one expects it to. Will it do the job for those who are on a very limited budget and not a lot of demands? Sure. Its performance meets a very basic standard. There is nothing fancy about the CV550; its platform and component selection is what you could expect for the price. The good news is it will not blow up your house like some no-name PSU from a shady source. At the end of the day, the Corsair CV550 550W is an ultra-budget power supply with absolutely no frills backed by a 3-year warranty. "
https://aphnetworks.com/reports/corsair-cv550-550w/4

That pretty much sums it up.
Thank you, yeah. I could chance it because of the warranty, but if I've got the better tech (and I'm happy to practice my cable management), I guess it's a better idea to go for the better option long term.