Question Is it worth to upgrade to i7 3770 or k from i7 2600?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Hey there, I've recently bought a GTX 1070. My current CPU bottlenecks the freak out of it. I was wondering if should I get an i7-3770/k or would the bottleneck it too?

Thank you in advance.

IBeats

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
The cpu sets fps. Period. It pre-renders all frames according to the game code. Those pre-renders are then sent to the gpu which finish renders the frames according to resolution and detail settings.

So hypothetically, if your CPU can only pre-render 100fps and the GPU can render 240fps. Isn't that bottlenecking in a nutshell?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Because there's nothing supplying more than 100fps to start with. It's not like there's something in front of the cpu giving it 1000fps, cpu slows that to 100fps. The cpu starts everything. It's giving 100% fps to the gpu. Doesn't matter if it's capable of 250fps in 1080p or 140fps in 1440p or 60fps in 4k, the whole thing gets started at 100fps as 100%.

And all that can and does change with the game or different game, different area, who is also there, mods, scripts etc. Software is more often a bottleneck than anything else.

Aug 27, 2021
Upgrading to an 3770/k would not be worth the trouble since it's something like 7-10% faster than a 2600/k. This could mean that if you already get 60fps, you will only get up to 5fps more which you are unlikely to notice when playing.

Also, the GTX 1070 is not as much of bottleneck for the i7 2600k or 3770k as people would have you believe. Even a GTX 1080ti will still improve fps in games that are not heavily CPU biased. Newer games coming out actually require faster memory for higher fps as well, so the next real bottleneck is becoming the memory speed of a DDR3 system under DDR3 2133Mhz. Battlefield 1/5 and Fallout 4 are perfect examples of memory speed directly affecting your fps, which could be as much as 20fps difference depending on configuration.
hi there. i have i7 2600 32gb ddr3 and gtx 1050ti system and i am doing editing work. unfortunatelly davinci, premiere etc programs cant play 4k video in edit relaxly. as i know in this programs only processor working for playback the video. do you have any solution for me? as i know i cant upgrade more than 3770k without change my mainboard(z77ds3h ) and rams. maybe you have some good ideas for this issue. have a nice evening!

USAFRet

Titan
hi there. i have i7 2600 32gb ddr3 and gtx 1050ti system and i am doing editing work. unfortunatelly davinci, premiere etc programs cant play 4k video in edit relaxly. as i know in this programs only processor working for playback the video. do you have any solution for me? as i know i cant upgrade more than 3770k without change my mainboard(z77ds3h ) and rams. maybe you have some good ideas for this issue. have a nice evening!
Please start a new thread for your particular situation. This one is 2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.