Question Is it worth upgrading my 10700KF at this time?

BlueVyper

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
Running 10700KF, RTX 3080, 32 gigs of ram, Looking at either a 136/13700 cpu upgrade? Wondering if I should really bother upgrading just yet? Will I get a big gain from it for games?

Depends on your needs really. Do you want higher frame rates for better-perceived motion - and you know for a fact you are CPU limited?? Do you notice stutters in your games that cause momentary dips in your frame rate?

A CPU upgrade with your RTX 3080, is really only necessary if you need higher FPS and you aren't GPU limited - as MrN1ce9uy suggested in a similar manner. The higher IPC of Raptor Lake chips, combined with the bigger L2 and L3 caches, should also noticeably reduce any momentary stutters you might find in your games.

Overall, no you won't see a massive upgrade, but depending on the games you play, there will be a subtle but noteworthy difference if you upgrade - even if your average frame rates don't change.

It really depends on how much money you're willing to blow, if you don't have a budget, sure upgrade, why not. you'll see some benefits. if you are money conscious at all though, there's no need to upgrade.

zx128k

Reputable
10700KF, RTX 3080, 32 gigs of ram = totally fine for games. My 10900k overclocked is GPU bound at 4k by 100% and GPU bound at 1440p. Its only 1080p that I'm not GPU bound. I see little reason to upgrade unless there is a game you have performance issues with.

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
From the reviews I have seen, at 4k the primary performance limiter is the gpu for fast action games.
For cpu centric games like strategy, mmo and sims, the cpu could well use an upgrade.
As a test,
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread rating for your 10700KF.
You should get a number like 549:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/7gp430
13700K will be 864

If you do go to 13th gen, you will also need a lga1700 motherboard and a cooler adapter.
You can reuse your ddr4 ram.

instawookie

Commendable
Jun 13, 2021
Speaking from a little experience on this one, Just left a 10700k to a 13700k. If I could do it again I would have waited, I love my new rig... but as others said gaming at 4k 144hz with a 4090 shows marginal differences. FPS wise I gained a little more stability with the 13700k, but I easily could have waited and been content just doing a cpu swap to 11900k. If you do have the itch though, it looks like 13th might be around for a bit per gamermeld, sounds like 14th gen might have some delays.