Question Is it worth upgrading my i5 3550 to another lga-1155 cpu ?

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
I've got a I5-3550 cpu which is starting to give me issues on certain programs, so i have been looking to upgrade but if i want a newer cpu i need to upgrade my motherboard and ram. I found a decent upgrade for all but the price ended being 800$ which i'd rather not like to spend right now.
I looked at some older cpu's that fit my cpu and found out the i7-3770 is the best 1155 socket cpu around. So i compared on some websites and the 3770 obviously got better score but i have no idea what to read out of these scores or information.

So my question is, would it be worth it to upgrade a i5 3550 to a better 1155 cpu ? Would i see any performance boost, i'm working more on programs rather than games but i do play games aswell but i have no issues there with my 3550.

CalypsoIce

Reputable
Mar 10, 2016
Depends on your workload(s). The 3770/3770K is a stronger CPU relative to the 3550, but whether it's a viable option depends what you want it to do... and how much it'll cost you.

I mainly run into problems when working in a DAW making music, when the project gets big and has many plugins running the computer tends to freeze a couple of secs or work really slow.
It's recommended to pick a cpu with a faster single core performance, 4 to 8 physical cores.

'' An 8 core CPU (14,400) with a single core score of 1800 is probably less well suited to music production than a 6 core CPU (12,000) with a single core score of 2600, since much of what happens with audio-processing can't be computed in parallel. Ideally, you need a CPU in the Strong or Very Strong category. ''

I have no idea what this means as i am not really the right person when it comes to cpu's but hopefully it gives an idea if the 3770 is a better cpu.

I can also OC the cpu if i find the k type as my motherboard allows it easily, i'd just have to get a better fan. I'd rather spend less on a decent cpu and cooler that will be useful out this year than upgrading everything because i might sell my setup at the end of this year because i might move to a different country.