Question Is my 1070Ti Thermal Throttling??

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
EVGA 1070Ti Ultra FTW seems to be thermal throttling even when the temperatures seems to be below 65 C

While running Heaven benchmark, it starts with the Core Clock of 2062(+160Mhz OC) then degrades to 2032 at the middle of the benchmark(temps 59 ~ 62 C) even though the temperature are way below the threshold.

Is this how Pascal card works or there is a problem with my GPU when Power and Temp limit are set to MAX(+130% & 92 C).

My Specs are,
CPU: i5 3570K,
COOLER: HYPER 212X,
MOBO: Intel DH77KC,
RAM: 2*4GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600Mhz,
SSD/HDD: 250GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO(Boot)/3TB Seagate Barracuda(1+2TB),
GPU:EVGA GTX 1070Ti FTW ULTRA SILENT,
PSU: Seasonic S12ii-620W,
Chasis: Antec P8,

It's not thermal throttling. It's GPU Boost 3.0 doing it's thing.

It looks like thermal throttling but it isn't, GPU Boost 3.0 is providing an auto overclock, and will vary the overclock based on thermals, power limit, and utilization.

Pascal is super thermal sensitive, max GPU Boost clocks you have to be at 40C or lower. Once you go above 40C, GPU Boost starts lowering GPU clocks very gradually. But again it's all normal. It's not thermal throttling.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu boost 3 works extremely similar in concept to Intel cpu turbo. The i9-9900k will boost to 5GHz with 2 cores, 4.9GHz for 3-4 cores and 4.7GHz for anything higher. It does this to maintain power balance with temps under loads. The 1070ti is doing the same thing, as your load peaks, it'll drop clocks slightly, which requires slightly less voltage and slightly less amperage through the VRM's and other voltage regulatory circuitry. You see mid 60's temps, but that's only on the actual processor, the other circuitry doesn't have a temp sensor embedded, but can easily hit 90°C+. Dropping the boost is more to keep that temp checked than the actual gpu processor itself.

You'll not really see thermal throttling, and it'll be very obvious, until after @ 80°C and your fans will get really funky.