Question Is my 4090 dying?

SydB12

Prominent
Feb 10, 2023
Hi. I have a Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC for less than a year, running with some mild undervolt with MSI AB, that has been stable since day 1. However, 5 days ago, I updated "successfully" the BIOS for the GPU. I updated the BIOS because the previous one had some fan revving issues and the new BIOS is supposedly addressing this issue. I used Gigabyte Control Center (GCC) for the BIOS flash and the app showed the update as correctly applied. Immediately, I uninstalled the crappy GCC but then, after 2 hours using the PC (web searching, nothing intensive), it froze showing artifacts.

Since then I've tried to reinstall Nvidia drivers (DDU + installation of latest drivers), but after some hours it froze again at start-up. I have also tried to reinstall GCC as some Reddit posts were showing similar issues after uninstalling it, but after 1 day, the PC froze again showing artifacts also at Windows start-up. Then, for the last 4 days the GPU has been working fine (gaming too), until this morning the same happened at start-up screen.

The thing is, I'm assuming there's a problem with the new BIOS, but after contacting Gigabyte support center, they replied stating that there's no way to revert the BIOS to the previous one. My main questions are:
  1. Is there a way to downgrade the BIOS safely? I know about the existence of Nvflash, but I'm not sure if it can be used to safely downgrade the BIOS. I have only found info of that being used for upgrades, not downgrades.
  2. Could the BIOS actually be the culprit for the artifacts? Or even a software issue? I've tried the GPU on my former system, and it has also crashed (so, I haven't even bothered to create a partition for a clean Windows install).
  3. Should I RMA it before doing anything else that could render the GPU completely unusable? I'm typing this with the 4090 running and I'm sure I coulde do some intensive gaming with it for hours before crashing again (so, at least now I'm able to post and start Windows with it).
I'm linking some pictures with the artifacts: View: https://imgur.com/a/SCMen2o

Thanks!

Last edited: