Is my 8700k 5ghz overclock stress test temp too high?

Jul 22, 2018
Hey guys... i just finished my build last night using these parts:

8700k non delided
Gigabyte z370 ultragaming wifi
Evga clc 240 aio
3000mhz corsair vengence 2x8gb
Evga 650m psu
Evga 1070ti ftw2

So ive follwed online gigabyte mobo guide to overclock and hit 5ghz at 1.30v

https://overclocking.guide/gigabyte-z370-overclocking-coffee-lake/#How_to_Overclock_Your_Intel_Coffee_Lake_i7-8700K_i5-8600K_CPUs

Running prime 95 version 27.9 build 1 gets my core temps to hover around 86~96c...i thought those were too high and felt uncomfortable pushing my cpu that high but the picture in his guide shows simlar temps... and says that is sucess... is is that normal? Does that mean my 8700k is overclocked at 5ghz and stable?

I also ran realbench stree test for 15 min and hit around low 90s and pass the test in the end ..

During short cinebench cpu test temps stay around mid to high 70s and score about 1630

Thanks guys!

Solution
If your system can Run Prime 95 successfully for quite some time, it means your CPU (with its overclock) can withstand literally THE WORST LOAD on your system for quite some time. Prime 95 replicates a load that is HIGHLY unlikely to occur in every-day tasks. 86-96 is quite high, but that can be changed by lowering the voltage (possibly, might encounter some stability issues), and will be very unlikely to appear in everyday use cases.

A better indicator of your OC's success would be the temps you get while using the PC for what it was built around. Whether that be gaming/streaming/rendering, gather the temperatures of idle/standard operation. If they're not above 75C, then you're golden. Expect ~80C when performing tasks such as...
If your system can Run Prime 95 successfully for quite some time, it means your CPU (with its overclock) can withstand literally THE WORST LOAD on your system for quite some time. Prime 95 replicates a load that is HIGHLY unlikely to occur in every-day tasks. 86-96 is quite high, but that can be changed by lowering the voltage (possibly, might encounter some stability issues), and will be very unlikely to appear in everyday use cases.

A better indicator of your OC's success would be the temps you get while using the PC for what it was built around. Whether that be gaming/streaming/rendering, gather the temperatures of idle/standard operation. If they're not above 75C, then you're golden. Expect ~80C when performing tasks such as streaming/rendering.

Solution
The CPU can run up to 100°C at which point it will thermal throttle on it's own. I personally wouldn't run a bunch of stress tests that keep it there for an extended period of time.

Run some games, see what your temperatures are. If you're comfortable with temperatures under normal conditions, it's probably fine.

I agree with profoundnoah about lowering temps by lowering the CPU voltage. Every bit of voltage you don't have to hit the CPU with will be that much less waste heat. You can keep stepping back the voltage followed by running a stress test, until you hit the point at which your CPU can't pass the test, add back the last voltage step, and you'll likely be reasonably stable.

Jul 22, 2018
Great thanks for your answers guys.
1.30v was the lowest voltage that would pass the stress test so i guess this will be where i can stablize 5.0 ghz...

So these stress tests are like the maximum temp and unlikely to be hit in real life scenario right?