Is my cooling enough for OC? A 600W Value PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Hello all,

First of all, My PC specs are :

Intel Core i7-950 Extreme @3.07Ghz (8MB Cache and HT-Enabled)
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 @1600Mhz (Triple Channel)
ATI Radeon HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 Dedicated Graphic card
Intel Workstation board WX58BP
Western Digital 1TB 7200 32MB [1*n]

I decided to buy a combo of the following case after days of searching..

Corsair Carbide 500 R with 7 Case Fans [4 inbuilt corsair fans(1x 200mm, 3x120mm), 2 Noctua NF- P12 120mm,1 Coolermaster 120mm Fans] and CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler with Noctua NF-F12

Is the above cooling enough to overclock my gig to 4.2 GHz? I dont really wanna use water cooling any time soon (atleast for 2 years)

Also, Im using a CRAP Huntkey 600W PSU for now.
Since, Im investing a lot of money already on my cooling (which I dont wanna change), I need a good recommendations for price/performance and valued PSU's of 600W. Main goal is price/performance/value and ones that last 3-4 years without any issue.

Also, please suggest PSU on these companies : Corsair, Antec, Seasonic and cooler master since they are available here in India, and corsair being the preferred one..

Thanks for your time.

Regards!

Solution

Hi - Yes, that Seasonic is fine. If you have real high electricity power rates, then the
Silver rated model would pay for itself over time, but it would prob take years not
month's for that to come to fruition.

As for SLI, yes you would prob need to go with 650-750w (realhardtech suggests 700w for 2 5850's),
so you need to make that (CF) now because it will change your PSU options.

Also, please don't consider Coolermaster PSU's, they have at least 11...

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
When OC'ing your CPU you should watch your CPU temps. The best thing you can invest in is a good aftermarket CPU cooler. The CM 212 Evo is a good CPU cooler. You should be able to run 4.2 GHz without a problem: but I'd still monitor to make sure the temps don't go over 50 C.

All of the PSU OEMs you list are excellent. Seasonic seems to have the best offerings for that wattage in price, but any PSU from Corsair, Antec and CM would do. I wouldn't buy yhe cheapest model, but I also wouldn't splurge on a Gold or Platinum model either. 80 Plus, 80 Plus Bronze & 80 Plus Silver are all good options.

hitme987

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

So, Seasonic SS-600ET Active PFC having 80 plus bronze would serve me good or do I need to go for silver? I dont seem to find 80 plus silver for 600W, they have for 750 and 850.

Also, If I intend to do SLI then will 750W 80 plus silver be enough?

Hi - Yes, that Seasonic is fine. If you have real high electricity power rates, then the
Silver rated model would pay for itself over time, but it would prob take years not
month's for that to come to fruition.

As for SLI, yes you would prob need to go with 650-750w (realhardtech suggests 700w for 2 5850's),
so you need to make that (CF) now because it will change your PSU options.

Also, please don't consider Coolermaster PSU's, they have at least 11 models
on johnnylucky.org Lemon list. Stick with the three other's you listed.

Tom

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.