[SOLVED] Is my CPU Dead?

Gibby873

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
After installing new RAM in my computer, I turned it on to test it. It booted into windows fine, however when I checked CPU-Z I noticed that my overclock had been removed and the CPU was running at stock speeds. I've been running a non-K overclock for years (i5 6500 at 4.5Ghz), so I just rebooted and reapplied my overclock settings assuming it would boot fine. However, I am now met with a predicament: The PC turns on, however it never outputs anything to my screen and I can't even reach the BIOS. There is a warning light on the motherboard (msi z170a gaming pro) indicating that there is an issue with the CPU. Thus far I have retried multiple times, trying new things such as clearing CMOS , moving around RAM, and removing GPU. Nothing has caused the computer to output anything. At this point, I'm pretty much convinced that the CPU is fried, however I'm coming here for confirmation, or hopefully a potential solution. I wouldn't be shocked if the CPU is dead, it's been running at 4.5 Ghz with 1.35 V for years now, despite not being a K cpu.

Specs are:
i5 6500
msi z170 Gaming Pro
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400mhz (previously 8gb Ripjaws V 2400mhz)
1060 6GB

Solution
The easiest way to tell would be to drop it into another machine and see if it boots. It could be a mobo or even PSU issue. Or something completely unrelated to the CPU and your GPU failed or something. Maybe you know someone with a same socket mobo you could use to test your cpu.
To boot up you don't need the fan, but all you're doing without the fan is booting into windows and shutting down if successful.
(Edited for typo)

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
The easiest way to tell would be to drop it into another machine and see if it boots. It could be a mobo or even PSU issue. Or something completely unrelated to the CPU and your GPU failed or something. Maybe you know someone with a same socket mobo you could use to test your cpu.
To boot up you don't need the fan, but all you're doing without the fan is booting into windows and shutting down if successful.
(Edited for typo)

Solution