[SOLVED] Is my cpu getting enough power?

Aug 13, 2020
My cpu is a g4560 from intel. It's a 54W cpu but when i check the wattage it's only using 18W max. At idle it uses 8W and when I'm gaming at 90% usage it draws 16-17W. I think it's my power supply that's causing it.

bosston_computer_power_supply__1595749972_16067c49.jpg

This is from HWmonitor

Q1RVcN.jpg

Solution
My cpu is a g4560 from intel. It's a 54W cpu but when i check the wattage it's only using 18W max. At idle it uses 8W and when I'm gaming at 90% usage it draws 16-17W. I think it's my power supply that's causing it.

Your system have low power demand in general. And I believe you don't have external video card and use iGPU built in CPU. Which make total power demand of your system somewhere around 150-180W on 100% load.

PSU itself indeed is a sad excuse of PSU plus 700W on it is a scam. It is 250W PSU which I believe is barely able to push 200 watts through it. Enough for cheap office computer though - that is why such things are still selling. Luckily for you your current system wasn't able to crank this PSU up to...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Normally, I wouldn't suggest a PSU issue, but this is one of the most horrid PSU-shaped objects I have ever seen. A PSU labeled 700W that is theoretically maxed at a 220W PSU and in modern terms, isn't even half of that with only 108W on the +12V rail. I'd have about zero faith that the power delivery is anything in the same galaxy as competent.

Your system have low power demand in general. And I believe you don't have external video card and use iGPU built in CPU. Which make total power demand of your system somewhere around 150-180W on 100% load.

PSU itself indeed is a sad excuse of PSU plus 700W on it is a scam. It is 250W PSU which I believe is barely able to push 200 watts through it. Enough for cheap office computer though - that is why such things are still selling. Luckily for you your current system wasn't able to crank this PSU up to limits. Otherwise you would learn something about magic smoke.

So far you can leave things as is. However if you want to upgrade to better hardware, get a new computer and dump that thing what you have now.

Reactions: EljhonSatsat
Solution
The TDP rating is a maximum rating. If your CPU is running at full speed when loaded then that is all the power it needs. If your CPU is not able to run at full speed when fully loaded then that is a different problem.

Run CPU-Z or HWiNFO and see what speed your CPU is running at when loaded. Run a simple benchmark program like Cinebench R20.

What speed is your CPU running at while R20 is running?

I believe you add the cores and pkg power to get total draw.
That is not true. The Package Power is the power consumption of the entire CPU package. It includes the IA Cores, the GT and the Uncore. You add those 3 together to get the CPU package power.

Power consumption reported by Intel CPUs is not 100% accurate. It is not measured power consumption so do not lose sleep over whatever this reports as long as your CPU is running at full speed.

Edit - It is a 2 core CPU. The 54W power rating was very generous.

Last edited: